Do you want to help support HBC? You can contribute through e-transfer to marc@huntingbc.ca or via PayPal

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Worms

Re: Worms

Quote Originally Posted by wunderboy View Post
    Is this a regional thing? I have never seen worms and I am from vernon. All the worms seem to be on the island. I am not to concerned but does anybody know if that is true and why that might be the case?
    Black flies transmit the worm larva. There are many types of this worm, even Asiatic bears have them. Others infect humans in tropical regions. This particular type is found in Canada, US including Alaska only in black bears. It could be that in some specific regions are void of the exact kind of kind of black fly that transmits the larva?

Here is a pic

Quote Originally Posted by kyleklassen@live.ca View Post
    haven't run into to many wormy salmon.
    How about herring and cod? When they die and wash up on shore do they get eaten....ever see the worms coming out of the fish right thru the scales???? yum

The grizz feeding on the sockeye where I was this fall were passing tapeworms all the time. We see them floating down river and wrapped around snags. Some were ridiculously long.

the "worms" guys are talking about in bears are called trichinosis and CAN be harmful to humans. Trichinosis is VERY common in pork, cougar, and bear as they all consume meat/carion which puts them at risk of aquiring the worm. The good news is that they are destroyed when we cook the meat - cook you bear like you cook your pork and you will be fine.
    chicken carries salmonella and bear carries trichinosis - we cook meat for a reason.

insomuch I believe I also answered the question to whether we need to pack "wormy" bear meat out of the bush (not that youd be able to tell) - yes as it is fully edible in any prepared dish (just stay away from the bear sushi

hmmm must be a coastal thing never seen worms ever in my interior bears..ever,....cant believe Im THAT lucky???

now coastal bears are different , grizzlies is all the coastal experince I have..

If I found worms...to me thats not edible...??? only have to pack out "edible portions" but again never seen these in interior bears, and trichinosis is no playing matter froze and cooked well..

steven

Wanted to take a lady our once but couldn't decide where to take her. Discovered she had worms so we went fishing.
    It's only when you see a mosquito land on your testicles that you realize there are other ways to deal with problems than violence.

6weeks in the frezzer kills the worm as the meat is boned out and not large chunks. Spring bear into fall sausage mix with the other game meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehiah View Post
    the "worms" guys are talking about in bears are called trichinosis and CAN be harmful to humans. Trichinosis is VERY common in pork, cougar, and bear as they all consume meat/carion which puts them at risk of aquiring the worm. The good news is that they are destroyed when we cook the meat - cook you bear like you cook your pork and you will be fine.
    chicken carries salmonella and bear carries trichinosis - we cook meat for a reason.

insomuch I believe I also answered the question to whether we need to pack "wormy" bear meat out of the bush (not that youd be able to tell) - yes as it is fully edible in any prepared dish (just stay away from the bear sushi
    This is true, and when you get trichinosis you cant get rid of it, you can treat the symptoms much like an std but you can never fully get rid of it.

When a person eats meat from an infected animal, Trichinella cysts break open in the intestines and grow into adult roundworms.

The roundworms produce other worms that move through the gut wall and into the bloodstream. These organisms tend to invade muscle tissues, including the heart and diaphragm (the breathing muscle under the lungs). They can also affect the lungs and brain.

There are approximately 40 cases of trichinosis each year in the U.S.

This is what the 2010-2012 synopsis says about edible portions on page 3
    Edible Portions: - with respect to big game, excluding grizzly bear, cougar, wolf, lynx, bobcat and wolverine, means the edible portions of the four quarters and the loins of the animal with respect to game birds means the edible portions of both breasts of the bird.

In short... no you don't have to take grizzly bear out of the bush just the hide. Black bear may be another story however, talk to your local conservation officer and ask him, make sure to get his name, and id number and time and date of conversation for your records in the case that there is ever a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    hmmm must be a coastal thing never seen worms ever in my interior bears..ever,....cant believe Im THAT lucky???

now coastal bears are different , grizzlies is all the coastal experince I have..

If I found worms...to me thats not edible...??? only have to pack out "edible portions" but again never seen these in interior bears, and trichinosis is no playing matter froze and cooked well..

steven
    Yeah, I guess with the original post I was wondering where the worms are in a bear; I wondered if worms in a bear are all through and in the meat but it sounds from most guys that is not the case. I've never shot a bear but will be accompanying an friend on a bear hunt in AB in a week & a half so was just curious about the worm thing because there does seem to be a lot of hype.

I think that the majority of the bears who do have these worms passed on by black flies are from the Island. I shot a bear in Quesnel one fall and didn't see any worms in it. This was the only bear I've taken off the island so far and the only bear that I haven't seen these worms in.

Tric can lay dormant in the cyst form and it is in the meat and can't really be seen with the naked eye.

Cook it well and don't worry about it.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF