Thread: June Scouting - Advice

June Scouting - Advice

I went into my first season of hunting last year blind, and quickly realize how much valuable hunting time I was wasting by trying to split my time each week between scouting for the following week and actually hunting.

Last year I focused on whitetails, and this year I'd like to also target mule deer in higher country for some spot and stalk hunting. and am operating under the impression that scouting around now into early June will mimic the conditions of the fall hunting season.

Can anybody give me some pointers on a good use of my time and energy? I'm thinking about exploring burns that are 1 - 2 years old and 6-7 years old - finding good country and spend time glassing looking for animals.

Advice would be appreciated

2. Site Sponsor

Re: June Scouting - Advice

This is such a wide open question on tactics, locations etc.. I really suggest watching some Meateater episodes on hunting deer, yes they may be out of province but a lot of mule deer hunting and will give you lots of insight and scenarios.. just really tough to explain on here without writing a novel
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

I don't even bother going into the Alpine until July to check out new places now. Depends on the location, the elevation and snow an area sees, the Mule Deers migration habits (clock migrators or snow migrators as I call em) and the weather of that year and whats happening with the feed.

But yeah my high country Mulie spots still are snowed out. Like I said I don't start scouting new alpine/really high country until July, sick of being turned around so many times last year learnt to just be patient and wait and spend time more wisely in the meantime. If I can't see the ground and lower on the trees i'm missing waayy to much intel.

You can listen to podcasts and read books til your blue in the face, but the best teacher is being out there and you learn it your way. Can take longer but satisfying.

Burns are very productive, move very slow and glass, sit and glass observe at first couple hours and last couple hours of light, trail cams, learn the winds of the area and when they typically switch find the best ways to approach at times to go undetected.
    Last edited by TheObserver; 05-25-2024 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    This is such a wide open question on tactics, locations etc.. I really suggest watching some Meateater episodes on hunting deer, yes they may be out of province but a lot of mule deer hunting and will give you lots of insight and scenarios.. just really tough to explain on here without writing a novel
    you hunt? Fooled me

I really don't think comparing June to fall conditions for scouting is useful. Does will be calving in June, bucks rutting in the fall. Totally different scenario/behaviour. As others have mentioned every year is a little different as far as weather goes, especially in the alpine. Low snowpack this year compared to most but it's been a cool May with storms featuring snow at elevation so the melt is slower. I get up into the alpine as soon as I can go fishing at my favourite lake. The only scouting I do this time of year is enroute to the lake. More deer sightings near/on the highway than I ever have actually hunting. Get out there & enjoy the great outdoors whenever you can whatever the time of year. Never a bad idea to have a pair of binos or spotting scope along.
    Last edited by mike31154; 05-25-2024 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    I don't even bother going into the Alpine until July to check out new places now. Depends on the location, the elevation and snow an area sees, the Mule Deers migration habits (clock migrators or snow migrators as I call em) and the weather of that year and whats happening with the feed.

But yeah my high country Mulie spots still are snowed out. Like I said I don't start scouting new alpine/really high country until July, sick of being turned around so many times last year learnt to just be patient and wait and spend time more wisely in the meantime. If I can't see the ground and lower on the trees i'm missing waayy to much intel.

You can listen to podcasts and read books til your blue in the face, but the best teacher is being out there and you learn it your way. Can take longer but satisfying.

Burns are very productive, move very slow and glass, sit and glass observe at first couple hours and last couple hours of light, trail cams, learn the winds of the area and when they typically switch find the best ways to approach at times to go undetected.
    Thank you this is quite helpful - Makes sense that we are early for being in the alpine - I hear you about putting boots on the ground, there's no substitute and I am trying to put a honest amount of time in.

I'll spend June going over topo maps and searching for good whitetail habitat, wait until July to start scouting Mulie's - Incorporating burns into my hunting strategy will be new this year and I have some good .Kml data

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    I really don't think comparing June to fall conditions for scouting is useful. Does will be calving in June, bucks rutting in the fall. Totally different scenario/behaviour. As others have mentioned every year is a little different as far as weather goes, especially in the alpine. Low snowpack this year compared to most but it's been a cool May with storms featuring snow at elevation so the melt is slower. I get up into the alpine as soon as I can go fishing at my favourite lake. The only scouting I do this time of year is enroute to the lake. More deer sightings near/on the highway than I ever have actually hunting. Get out there & enjoy the great outdoors whenever you can whatever the time of year. Never a bad idea to have a pair of binos or spotting scope along.

I'm still trying to piece together the relationship between what animals are doing in the spring // summer // fall -- I think It was a Remi Warren podcast that said early June was a good predictor of October like conditions. Happy to be disabused of a notion if it's not helpful - Makes sense what you are saying about calving season.

if there is little or no s
    Last edited by stoneramhunter; 05-30-2024 at 03:50 PM.

scouting around now into early June will mimic the conditions of the fall hunting season.
    This assumption can vary depending on the species and area. I can’t say much for alpine hunting, but for lower elevation deers there are different foods available to animals now and much more plentifully available. Come fall they will be switching food sources and finding the most nutrient dense foods for them. Food sources will get leaner as fall progresses, at the same time hunting pressure increases. This can dramatically affect how they use the land. For scouting I prefer to go out in spring looking for good potential sights. Places that have enough cover, good food sources, decent sign, good huntability, lower hunting pressure, and just have a good feeling for me. Often I am looking for very small areas in a big landscape. Anything that hits with great potential will be put on my to hunt list. This sense of “good feeling” is a bit of experience and a bit of intuition rolled into one.
    while I’m out there I’m also considering what kind of conditions can I hunt this area in. Is it broadly available or are there very specific wind conditions that will make this area pay off? What about getting in and out? Etc etc etc. There is so much info in this topic, the best thing is to get out there, hike lots, learn lots, keep a very open mind, don’t make assumptions, and come back here and ask the forums when you have specific questions.

^^ thanks this provides some clarity - I have a few spots I am curious to check that had good sign last fall and winter and am going to go through more topo information. What your saying makes some good sense to me

Learning how to hunt as an adult reminds me of learning how to climb - the problem seems insurmountable when taken as a whole but when I approach the most immediate obstacle I will slowly make some progress. I'm not sure if I'm communicating this feeling well but it definitely applies for me.

Looking forward to putting time in on the ground and seeing what I can turn up

Some people like to make deer hunting way more complicated than necessary. Just go out into an area that you think holds deer during hunting season and hunt them, if while there you don't see deer or fresh tracks then they aren't there so move to another spot. After a few years you will have a few favourite spots to hunt deer.

Deer will migrate so I see little use in scouting in the summer months.