Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hearing protection while hunting

Re: Hearing protection while hunting

Quote Originally Posted by M1SF1T View Post
    Yeah, protecting your hearing is dumb...

That tinnitus you hear after a shot is a little more permanent hearing loss.

I carry ear plugs and pop them in before a shot. Small, light and easy to keep on hand. I work in an environment exposed to constant loud sound and I use protection there and still have some hearing loss, I don't need to add to it.

I'm with carnivore though, if we had sensible gun laws we would be shooting suppressed and it would be a moot issue.
    Your right it is, and I love it and will still do it, a ring to success lol.

Protecting your hearing is not dumb, I too work with loud tools all day long. What is dumb is walking around out there or stalking an animal without your ears working at maximum capacity. I can see putting them in quick if you have time too and your going to take shot from where your at thats smart, a lot of shots on animals don't work that way though.

I use the Walker’s Razor electronic ear muffs. I only wear them before a shot.
    When I killed my first bear, my ears rang for days and weeks after and then sounded like a blown speaker for months after that. It took a number of years before I could go to the movie theatre or have any other remotely loud sound near me without causing me pain.
    I also work in loud work environments and take great care of my hearing. Electronic earmuffs have been a game changer for shooting game. On Thursday on the island I took a bear and as soon as I saw him on the road, I popped the muffs on and then turned them on. I can hear everything perfectly. Got the shot done and bear was dead, Took them off and put them back in the truck.
    I will say the only missed opportunities are the normal ones where an animal is already headed out of town before you can get a shot, muffs or no. I personally am willing to let an animal go then to shoot without earmuffs ever again.
    I think if you don’t wanna wear hearing protection when taking the shots, you are free to do that. But I will not do that.
    I never wear my earmuffs while walking around or stalking or anything else. They go on my ears before I shoot and they come off When the shooting is done.
    Last edited by ekul246; 05-22-2024 at 09:18 PM.

I use electronic noise cancelling earmuffs at the range regularly, but after suffering a major concussion and head injury, and the lasting effects of tinnitus this spring I am looking at getting some noise cancelling ear buds. Walker's Silencer In the Ear look to be a good choice that I am considering. Does anyone have any experience with these?

No, actually after thinking about it yes definitely wear ear protection especially in Grizz country. Absolutely agree 100% definitely wear ear protection. 🤡

Another way to protect your ears is to not use short barrel, magnum, muzzle brake, etc. At the height of the excitment, it is unlikely you would think of pulling your earplugs out of your pocket. You only want to follow the game and shoot it.
    Life is too short and time goes too fast. Hunt, hunt, and hunt....

Developed tinnitus a couple of years ago(48yo). The audiologist knew from my specific hearing loss it was related to shooting, not already knowing I was a shooter. I always wore hearing protection except for the couple shots a year at big game. That was enough. So my advice, find a system that works for you and protect your ears. Constant ringing is not fun. I use electronic hearing protection or the bands that hang on your neck now.
    Christopher Hitchens: "What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."
    Jonathan Swift: “It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.”

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    THIS!

I have permanent tinnitus and hearing loss in my left ear from shooting without ear protection since I was about 10 before I smatened up later in life. I applied for hearing aid subsisides from Worksafe BC and was toald because my hearing loss is only in my left ear it is because of non-work-related sound.

Tinnitus and hearing loss from shooting is real. If you don't believe that you're an idiot.

I carry foam plugs in every pocket and slip them in my ears the moment I spot an anaimal.
    Yeah, I've been bowhunting for 30 plus years and my hearing is failing. I probably need to tune my longbow and quiet it down.
    As others have said, at the range, with rifle, ear protection makes sense. In the field I wouldn't think about packing protection. Hearing is critical to success.

Your hearing will find so many ways to wane over your life. Don't waste the effort with hearing protection while your hunting. Limit the volume on the music in your ears....

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8 white hunter View Post
    No, actually after thinking about it yes definitely wear ear protection especially in Grizz country. Absolutely agree 100% definitely wear ear protection. 嵐
    You do realize that a lot of the electronic noise suppressor systems can also amplify ambient sounds so you actually hear way better with than without them? I can hear very clearly anything going on around me with my Walker Quad Muffs on, stuff I would never hear otherwise, like the breathing of a animal coming down the trail from 100 yds away. With the quads you can also tell direction quite well without turning your head like you have to do with the stereo ones.

My buddy hunts with electronic ear pro. It does amplify sound and cuts at a certain decibel level. Muffs are too hot on my head if I'm walking all day. Haven't tried the ones that go in your ears. He shoots a 300 mag with a brake so makes sense for him. Don't feel like I need it for my 308 if I'm only taking 1 shot.
    Check my Youtube Channel for fishing and hunting videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjN...AEGjPIUba3pn9g

Personally I have never worn hearing protection while hunting, but I can really see the benefits while hunting waterfowl in a blind with others but big game hunting no thanks. I can remember only one time were the report from my not muzzle braked 300. win mag bothered me, when giving the coup de grace to a deer, the shot had to be taken in close quarters and the report was noticeably loud. That said it might be a good idea while hunting with someone else while they're taking shot to put in some plugs that are attached to a string around your neck, better than fingers. I have a set of Walker Razors that I use while shooting trap. When at the range I like to use muffs with plugs as well, I haven't tried the Razors there but will try them next time there. But while hunting, no, while out and about I want to hear everything, like a squirrel giving something other than me the business or a moose grunt or a cow moose calling or far off elk bugle or a cow elk mew.