Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hearing protection while hunting

Hearing protection while hunting

Currently I use hearing protection while hunting, either the over ear muffs or the in ear silicone type. I have missed opportunities on animals because of the time it takes to get ear protection in and was thinking about switching to an electronic set. I briefly tried the sordin pro x headset and was surprised how much it amplified sounds like the kids playing in the next block over. I do a lot of calling and still hunting and was wondering what units other hunters use? I would like to have stereo sound so I can tell which direction the sound is coming from.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hearing protection while hunting

I used one for a very short period of time and threw it away. It destroys the natural feeling of hunting in the nature.
    Life is too short and time goes too fast. Hunt, hunt, and hunt....

fast way to get ass whooped by an unseen cow moose or bear..Ive been hunting for over 45 years and never used it, my hearing is still perfect. A loud sound once in a while will not damage your hearing. Continual noises like at the range every Saturday will. Wear your hearing protection where its needed, at the range.
    Last edited by .330 Dakota; 05-22-2024 at 07:10 AM.

All target shooting yes.
    Hunting road chickens yes, or maybe if I was In a tree stand.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by .330 Dakota View Post
    fast way to get ass whooped by an unseen cow moose or bear..Ive been hunting for over 45 years and never used it, my hearing is still perfect. A loud sound once in a while will not damage your hearing. Continual noises like at the range every Saturday will. Wear your hearing protection where its needed, at the range.
    ^^^^ this. I've seen em put in while stalking preds, personally I would never even think about having or putting them in ever while hunting. Dont even pack em.

Myself while rifle hunting kind of like the brief tinnitis after a shot on an animal, just kind of became part of the whole thing and success

If Canada had sensible gun laws like many European countries and even the USA has regarding suppressors the problem would be solved. It should be considered a health and safety issue. If we can turf Turdo and his ilk in 2025, we may have a chance for some sensible changes to our existing gun laws. My dream list would be, making the transfer of handguns legal again, allowing the possession and use of most semi-auto rifles and carbines with mag restrictions, allow suppressors for hunting and target shooting sports, allow the carrying of sidearms in wilderness areas for protection against predators etc.

If you have to wear hearing protection while hunting please stay home. That is one of the dumbest things i've ever heard.

Yeah, protecting your hearing is dumb...

That tinnitus you hear after a shot is a little more permanent hearing loss.

I carry ear plugs and pop them in before a shot. Small, light and easy to keep on hand. I work in an environment exposed to constant loud sound and I use protection there and still have some hearing loss, I don't need to add to it.

I'm with carnivore though, if we had sensible gun laws we would be shooting suppressed and it would be a moot issue.

Quote Originally Posted by M1SF1T View Post
    Yeah, protecting your hearing is dumb...

That tinnitus you hear after a shot is a little more permanent hearing loss.

I carry ear plugs and pop them in before a shot. Small, light and easy to keep on hand. I work in an environment exposed to constant loud sound and I use protection there and still have some hearing loss, I don't need to add to it.

I'm with carnivore though, if we had sensible gun laws we would be shooting suppressed and it would be a moot issue.
    THIS!

I have permanent tinnitus and hearing loss in my left ear from shooting without ear protection since I was about 10 before I smatened up later in life. I applied for hearing aid subsisides from Worksafe BC and was toald because my hearing loss is only in my left ear it is because of non-work-related sound.

Tinnitus and hearing loss from shooting is real. If you don't believe that you're an idiot.

I carry foam plugs in every pocket and slip them in my ears the moment I spot an anaimal.

I have the orange kind that are attached around my neck, if I have time before a shot I'll slip them in. If not, shoot.

https://www.amazon.ca/3M-Style-Heari...000LNKDEE?th=1