Thread: Cat hunters

Threaded View

Cat hunters

Looking for some good info.

-What breed(s) do you run and why ? Oviously different breeds will offer different qualities and hunt differently, some suited better to different conditions etc etc, looking for your insights on that kind of stuff.

-Whats the advantage to running X number of males to females ratio etc or is it strictly about whether its a good dog or not? (besides breeding issues, reasons)

-What is the cats ass reciever/collar system?
    (The maxima systems look top grade and I just saw a Garmin GPS unit that shows you exactly where the hounds are on the screen, allowing you to have up to 12 collars on it)

-Any other equipment you feel is crucial or very useful?

-Post pictures of your runs or how you keep your dogs(we've got a good plan but the more ideas the better)

-Any info a guy wishes he knew before, that helped lower the learning curve? (Ive been before, just never had my own)

We've got one good hound coming a bit on the less experienced (maybe 10 cats, 2.5 years old) side but shows major potential and we want 2 more probably.
    I'm sure you hear this often "I want a good one" and yes I know those ones dont come free.
    Who's reputable for good hounds or supplying a contact?
    We have a guy who knows someone with like 15 or so in 100 mile that we could get one or possibly two from but I worry may just end up being his 2 worst dogs or something. This is kind of a last resort.

Much appreciated.
    Last edited by BlacktailStalker; 01-19-2008 at 11:16 PM.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

2. Site Sponsor