Do you want to help support HBC? You can contribute through e-transfer to marc@huntingbc.ca or via PayPal

Thread: How do you hunt the GOS?

Threaded View

How do you hunt the GOS?

Well Sep 10 is less than a month away. 3rd hunting season for my 45 yr old bones (I work at a computer so feels more like 55). Haven’t bagged a big game yet, just hares, but man do I enjoy every minute out there! Probably hunt less than 2 weeks a year including spring - going to change that this year.

Tried hunting 4 pt mule over first 5 days last year, got really close, needed a couple more days. Have never seen a 6pt Elk in the wild. Tried moose and bear but too little time. Never saw a wt buck in the wild either.

My questions is: what do people generally hunt, and how? - not asking for spots!

Do people generally hunt 4pt mules right away, or wait for the rut in Nov? If hunting 4 pt mules right away, do you find more success in timber or glassing elevation?

Do people focus on 1 species or go for ‘attacks of opportunity’ with 4 pt mule, wt bucks, 6pt Elk or bear? I have a feeling Elk is more of a dedicated effort.

Super excited, hoping this is the the year I bag something big, and by big I mean anything over 100lbs, before dressing lol! I buy tags for everything, just in case, inc cougar.

I think I’m going to focus more on still hunting timber, had a little success walking up on a moose last year. Freaked me right the hell out! Felt like thunder and mild earthquake in the thick timber when it startled and ran.

Good luck to all, and I appreciate any thoughts that may help others and myself.

Cheers,

Josh
    Last edited by joshbazz; 08-13-2020 at 03:44 PM.
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

2. Site Sponsor