Thread: Barrel break in: Yes or no?

Threaded View

Re: Barrel break in: Yes or no?

This makes me face palm. Literally I just did it.

As someone who knows a little thing or two about metallurgy, machining, engineering, physics, and mechanics I can't for the life of me figure out how the tooling marks in a rifle barrel are going to know if they are at round count 20 of a concentrated break in procedure, or the 20th round in 5 years.

This is what happens.. Tooling leaves marks, microscopic jagged marks, burrs and pores.

When a bullet passes over them, frictional forces help lay them in the direction of passing, smoothing them out, and or breaking them off. Heat from friction help as well.
    Some jacketing is snagged and deposited on/in these microscopic burrs and pores. Closer to the chamber the more heat helps burn the burrs off.

20 rounds of this in one day is no different than 1 shot per year for 20 years. The end result would be identical.

Copper likes to stick to copper better than it sticks to steel. So once it gets a foothold in these pores and on the burrs, it will build up more and more and more as more bullets pass, and this protective layer of copper is not only protecting the burrs from being beaten down or broken off but building up even more.. Copper fouling.

So yes running some copper solvent through there will keep the buildups to a minimum, so each bullet passing is acting on bare steel and actually leading towards a smoother bore.

But it will the bore know if it's was one day or 20 years? Nope.

Bottom line is cleaning the copper out regularly will speed up the break in/smoothing process via round count, which eventually means more rounds between fouling and better accuracy.. You do not have to do it all at once.
    Last edited by Busterpayton54; 02-13-2016 at 11:14 AM.