Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 45-70 hunters

45-70 hunters

Interesting concept I've been pondering for a while here. I love to hunt with my Marlin 45-70 but I love to shoot grouse as well, although Im a big shotgun fan as far as they go. Speer makes a .451 cal shot cup for colt .45 revolvers so you can handload snake popper rounds, (more intended for the states where mounted riders carry sidearms for just such situations). I've found each cup will hold 167 grains of number 7.5 shot. I came up with a charge and primer to go with it and loaded a bunch up. The diameter was a little tricky to crimp due to the .007 thou size difference between colt .45 and 45-70 but I got round that. I intend to pattern sometime soon and will let you know how it turned out. If this works the shells should be a great grouse popper load.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 45-70 hunters

Interesting...

I have in the past used the 44 Rem mag case loaded w/ # 7 shot, via Speers shot shell cups.

Scattered rats REAL good. Had to be loaded one by one though in my Ruger 96-44. The plastic cups wouldn't hold up being cycled through the action.

I'm sure that round and rifle, would've worked well on Grouse.

PLEASE let me know how it all comes together - Dean.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

Sounds fun...Be careful. Let us know how it works out, I know a few guys that would be interested in your results.
    Steve.
    It's better to pass on a shot that you wish later you took, then to take a shot and wish later you didn't.

I know this is a little weird but I shot a Grouse with my Goverment last Fall ask J300 & KORideout. Pretty expensive though and loud. The breast was in perfect condition. Then I forgot the bloody thing in the fridge. Before you string me up like William Wallace someone did eat it.

Seriously though some good ideas.

This year we're going to pack a slingshot and use some BB's in the magnetic puch. Those bloody birds are so close usually you could reach for it in the pack and wack.

yeah theyre beauties, I'll see if I can take some pics and post em if I can figger out how. I doubt how well they'll cycle in the lever gun, but with the addition of some sort of nose cone they may even do that.

My guess is your gonna find the effective range about 10 feet, most people just load up some casts at around 600 ft/sec. Not to load and just take off the heads o 25 yards.

Once I have a load tested I let ya know.....

I just bought 45-70 and am intereted in this idea. I already do this in my .44mag revolver, this should work the same if not better.

Troutseeker

When shhoting my shot loads from a revolver, it is good for about 20 feet. a longer barrel should improve things.

I never pattern tested the ol'e 96-44 but the rats that it went to town on where all around 12 - 25 feet.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

I can't imagine them havin great range with a rifled barrel and no choke, but it's worth a try and they sure look purty