Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Binoculars

Binoculars

Anyone have opinions on what binos would be a good buy, going to replace my crappy set with something that actually works well. Looked at some bushnells today, clear as a bell, very nice. Any ideas would be a help, thanks guys. Also, if anyone knows of a wall tent thats for sale let me know, preferably something used that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Binoculars

I have a set of windy river 10 x 50 and just love them i think i spent 300.00 4 years ago for them and they are great

For a roof prisim design, $400 is the bare minimum, and $500 and up is usually where the good glass lives. Bushnell Legend is where I would start as a minmum and go up the line from there. Cheap-o roof prisim binos will give you a headache - ask me how I know.

If $500 sounds like more than you can/want to spend, then all I would consider is a pair of porro prisim binoculars, such as the Bushnell Legend Porro Prisim line; again, the cheapest bino I can recommend as being decent. I have a pair of these in 8x42, and I rate them as very decent (and if you consider the price I paid buying a pair on eBay - I think they're pretty much the best buy in cheap binoculars).
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

It's a jungle out there. A friend lent me his Leica compacts and they were the best I had ever tried, but sooo expensive. Optics to me are very personal. What works for one may seem lousy to another. When I was down in Van b4 Christmas I popped into MEC(I became a member before the granola crunchers thought it was trendy), and found a pair of Pentax 8x25 UCF WP. They're rubber coated, water proof not water resistant, with full lifetime warranty. The diopter adjustment is for each eye not just the one. They cost $96 which I thought was a pretty good buy. They have decent eye relief, are clear for me, and are better than average in low light. They will do me until I can justify the expense of the Leicas to the Minister of Finance(she who must be obeyed). I checked them out on the Pentax website right after I bought them and they weren't listed yet so are fairly new to the market. I think not a bad deal for a hundred bucks.

Mods I think this topic should be "Stickied" Keeps coming up every couple months or so
    "ETCOOMS"

spend as much as you can afford, or save up until you can afford a pair of binoculars that usually sell for at least $400...also keep an eye out online for good deals
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I agree with Mr Bartell, but first you need to find a pair that fit you. I played with many a pair that were nice but didn't feel right in my hands. Once you find that out, go online. Binoculars Canada is a good site, also some screaming deals on optics on E-bay. If you can make it to the trade show in Abby in the coming months, you'll find lot of binos to play with and get an idea, maybe even a good deal??
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Ive been using Nikon Monarchs and they have worked well for me. All the good advice has already been stated.

go to 24hrcampfire.com and look for "brst buys in binos"

I use leica Ultravd 10x42 now, and they are possibly the best binos I have ever looked through.

But there are very good binos for excellent deals these days.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

There has been many good posts about Bino's and as a lot of people say it is a personal choice but for one thing buy as good a pair as you can afford. If it is possible for you to make it over to the Abby show like Steeleco said, there are lots there to look through and then you can make a better decision. To everyone going to the show as a fairly new member to this site I hope we might get our new Hunting BC cap's that way people can introduce themselfs to each other.