Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEH rational

LEH rational

I'd like the rational for the LEH way of alloting times to hunt-I got the early draw for ''any bull'' in 5-13c, good to October 1.Unfortionately that proved to be a bit early, although 5 moose were taken in September.I gather that area is most productive in mid October- the later hunt.
    My question is this- if the LEH draw system is based on ensuring a certain number of animals are available to be taken out of an area, but not to exceed that number due to over harvesting - then why is there any time limit beyond the regular season?It can't be to avoid hunter saturation of an area- there is plenty of room .I'd sure like to know why they have this system, because it doesn't make sense to me.Does anybody know ?

2. Site Sponsor

We had this same question around camp one year, with regard to Bison. If they want to control population then why not let a guy/girl hunt in may or june when the regular hunting pressure is off. Why must you get a once in a lifetime draw and have to face ball deep snow and wintery conditions?
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

bone-collector Guest
    you pick the time and area you want to hunt and you get a second choice so I cant see the problem in that , put in for a later draw and catch the rutt

as much as our system seems kinda screwed i like it...
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

LEH rational

easier said than done, with the 3 year reduced odds waiting period.Too bad they don't have a guaranteed shared hunt rule where populations can stand it, 0ne moose between 2 hunters is plenty of meat

i thought it was only 2 years reduced odds..and if u are still applying up in region 5-13 the odds are good there to begin with...and if u go in on a shared hunt with 3 others..ur odds are brought back up...
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

bone-collector Guest
    hey its life , I know guys that havent had a draw for moose in 10-12 years and others that get a draw almost every year , how , they play the odds and win

LEH rational

IF the odds are reduced for the 2 subsequent years following a successful draw- does that apply to ALL hunters in the group- or would it mean that if 3 guys applied for a ''shared hunt'', would they each take turns on the ''reduced odds '' list, or is the whole group on the reduced odds list?

way i read it and understand it is...if for go in u might not get drawn but ur buddy does...so he gets the reduced odds...and u dont...

rob my dad has been aplying for over 20 years and he has only gotten 1 moose draw and a couple doe draws..i know guys that get drawn same thing year afte yea...

Let me clarify.

My buddy finally got draw for a LEH bull in 7-08 after many years of being unsuccessful.

If my son, and I applied with him next year on a shared hunt, the odds of ANY of us getting draw are the same as if he applied by himself with the reduced odds implemented on him.

Applying for shared hunts doesn't effective the reduced odds effect. Only thing I know that can be in your favor is applying for very low (1:1 odds) hunts.