Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to buy a new scope

Going to buy a new scope

Ive narrowed it down to a leupold vx-3L 3.5-10x50, a vx-3L 4.5-14x50 cds

or a vx-3 3.5-10x40, a 4.5-14x40 cds

cant deside wat size to get. I just ordered a set of sako ringmounts(low) what are ur thoughts on these. Its going on a sako 85 7mm rem mag

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Going to buy a new scope

I have the VX-3 3.5 10x40 with B&C reticle on my Sako 270. Generous eye relief. Cant go wrong with Leopold and the warranty. So many different reticles to choose from although most dealers carry only a few types. Are you sure the L model x 50 scopes will fit with low mount rings? I know they are elliptical to fit however I'd make sure. Also, I've heard of people have ejection problems with the scope too low.

I also have the vx3 3.5-10x40. Great scope
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

Cheapest scope you got listed is the good old 3.5-10x40, and it just so happens its one of the best hunting scopes Leupold makes. Tough to beat the 3.5 and lows in a hunting rifle.....

I sold my last 4.5-14x40 a couple years ago, and replaced it with another 3.5-10x40 with M1 turret.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Definitely my favorite scope also, 3.5-10x40 I own several.
    7-6.5 PRCW the best cartridge since the 280 Ackley 👍

Have you had a look at the New Leupold VX-6 2-12 x 42 mm CDS Yet Its pricey BUT a Beauty scope - it will be my next New one ! RJ

I bought sako 1" low ringmounts the vx6 is 30mm

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Have you had a look at the New Leupold VX-6 2-12 x 42 mm CDS Yet Its pricey BUT a Beauty scope - it will be my next New one ! RJ
    No I haven't picked one up yet but here good things about them......
    and yes they are a 30mm tube

If you have the ringmounts, put the rear one on the reciever. Put the front one on and slide it all the way forward until the dovetails on both sides are engaged.
    Measure the outside distance of the rings, this is your mounting length, you need to make sure your scope tube is long enough. Alot of the newer scopes have longer bells and shorter tubes.....creating a problem for us Sako long action fans. You can slide the front ring back, but if you have a good look at what is happening when you do that you will change your mind.
    Celebrate 101 years with the 375 H&H and drop something Big.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin375 View Post
    If you have the ringmounts, put the rear one on the reciever. Put the front one on and slide it all the way forward until the dovetails on both sides are engaged.
    Measure the outside distance of the rings, this is your mounting length, you need to make sure your scope tube is long enough. Alot of the newer scopes have longer bells and shorter tubes.....creating a problem for us Sako long action fans. You can slide the front ring back, but if you have a good look at what is happening when you do that you will change your mind.
    I have that same problem with a Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 scope being to short for a long action !