Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with an iPod (or other MP3 player)?

Hunting with an iPod (or other MP3 player)?

Hello, I have an iPod and I was just wondering if you could use it while hunting. They have some headphones that stop the noise from leeking out, only you can hear them. If I only have one ear phone in and have it at a low volume do you think it would be alright for hunting? I would disconnect one earphone so I can only use one and have my other ear free to hear for them deer. I have a 30GB iPod that plays videos and audio books, so it would be a nice thing to have up in a tree stand.

This may be a funny question to some of you older hunting guys, but I am only 18 and just getting into hunting...... I get bored easy.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting with an iPod (or other MP3 player)?

it would be a good idea,i have an ipod to,,i would use it for hunting to,im hoping for getting a tree stand for x-mas so i wouldnt mind useing mine to ,,thanks for the good idea.

I am just worried about it scarring the deer away.. I'm new to hunting so I don't know how good of hearing they have.

WHY?why would you want to listen to music instead of what is going on around you.?If you are new to hunting i suggest leaving the ipod at home and listen carefully (very carefully) to what is going on around you.You will be surprised at how quietly an animal can just appear out of nowhere.

focus focus focus Isnt the whole idea of getting away from all the crap incentive enough to be out there . If i went hunting with someone that wore an ipod,walkman etc and couldnt be bothered to concentrate on the task at hand that would be the last time i ever went hunting with them.

I have a MP3 but i'll never use it during hunts.
    Like i want to know what's going on around me.
    Cody
    "Very Nice."

The only thing with using an iPod hunting is it's just one more distraction in the woods. You want all your senses working for you and just because people around you can't hear it doesn't mean an animal can't. Remember they've got a wider range of hearing then a human.

Save the iPod for the truck ride or back at camp after the hunt. The whole reason to go hunting is to enjoy the peace, quiet, and tranquility of the woods. You’d be surprised how much you’d miss with just one(ears) of your senses being distracted and even worst, two(eyes and ears).
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Personally l wouldn't, but if it improves the quality of your hunt, go for it. Obviously, your hearing ability won't be the same if you didn't have the tunes on, but if you can live with that, enjoy.
    l have known to bring a book in my pack and have had comments made about it.........but it is our leisure time and ours to enjoy the way we want.
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire

for sitting in a treestand it would be cool...but i guess you guys are right,,,,,,,,,,,,i love listening to nature and listening to the animals around.

Hey, If it helps keep you on stand longer, go for it. Sure you may not be as alert due to a reduced hearing level, but it is your hunt and you are the only one you need to satisfy, so hunt how you want and bring whatever keeps you in bush. I am sure if the volume is low, I wouldn't think scaring game would not be an issue. Have fun