Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there any benefits to stand hunting?

Are there any benefits to stand hunting?

With the cost of stand, the difficulty putting it up, the boredom of sitting in one place, what are the benefits of stand hunting? Wind? Smell? Sight? I always walk with my bow, but I think I've got a great place to put a stand after knowing the area - but, how often do you have to be there to make sure you get a chance? How early you have to get there? Blacktails seem to be bedded even before shooting light - have any of you done stand hunting? Is it worth it?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Are there any benefits to stand hunting?

no i can't stand for long. i like to sit, then lay down. after that i can stand a little longer.

I don't know about BT's but when it comes to WT's you'll see bigger, better deer and you'll have more close encounters and shooting opportunities. Wind and sight also increase your chances not to mention deer don't generally look up unless they're well educated!
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Rainwater Guest

The great thing about stand hunting is not just the ability to see unalarmed deer but all our wild creatures seem to accept you. It's fun to try and draw down on a cock pheasant though from a tree, they're smarter than a whitetail. I've had birds land on me, squirrels crawling around me, bears under my stand, dropped a pinecone on a deer and just generally have fun in my tree. I sit in some of my stands (without bow) even during the off season just to watch. Get in a 1/2 hour before daylight and let things calm down. You will be amazed totally. Ernie

Guys that hunt out of stands for WT's kill deer. Guys that still hunt with a bow are still hunting or most of them are anyway.

A fellow told me a good piece of advice I now fully believe. Quote: If you want to see deer go into the bush. If you want to kill a deer go up a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock
    Guys that hunt out of stands for WT's kill deer. Guys that still hunt with a bow are still hunting or most of them are anyway.
    and guys with" ROTORTILLER BOWS " are STILL hunting ,for missed arrows

I get bored stitting in a stand, I'd rather walk and see more deer cause generaly BT's don't folow the same path every day like predictable WTs.
    I've taken my fair share of BTs over the years and all on the gound spot and stalk on their level more of a challenge. And not to mention very good exercise walking a few miles every day, you can tell the wife your getting out to get exercise .
    New 2011 PSE Omen Pro
    56/29 340 fps
    VICTORY ARROWS

If you think you have a great spot, but dont have the time or patience to sit there forever, buy a trail-cam, set it up, and go check it in a week! i f you see big bucks there on a regular basis, youll have the patience to wait for them!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

Rainwater Guest

What's A Rotortiller Bow?

i love hunting from my stands, not once have i ever been bored in a treestand, all sorts of things happen when you sit up a tree, BT's are a very predictable deer during the pre and post rut stages and once i have found one that i think is a shooter i find a spot where he feeds and travel routes and will set a stand for him.
    cost of stands have come down, you can get the baby gorilla stand from Wal-Mart for $80 on clearance right now, steps, if you use the screw in ones range from $2 and up depending on brand and quality.
    i use the screw in ones from Wal-Mart on one of my stands and i have a ladder for my other stand. I have been stand hunting for a number of years and find that if i sit under the 15 foot mark, deer catch movement, so i sit at the 20 foot level. I have had great success with stands set in the appropriate spots. i will always hunt from a stand given the opportunity.
    cheers....................ddog