Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RCMP registration check

RCMP registration check

I am due to leave in a couple of days on a moose hunt with my son.I finally registered my guns online- it's been an issue with me for some time.I do not agree with the registration law, it has been proven to be of zero value in saving lives, and to me is a diversion of money that would be far better spent on law enforcement.Goodnes knows, we have enough of an illegal handgun problem, they are freely available in almost any city bar.I have written letters to the editor, and various politicians- no point in disagreeing without doing something about it.
    However, the bottom line is- although it is a bad law- it is still the law, so I went ahead and registered my rifles.Now- the question- I have recieved confirmation they have recieved and accepted my application, but I have not got any certificate yet.
    What do I do if I am stopped in a game check where the RCMP are present- what is the best course of action and what do I say?Can they confiscate my rifle even though I have recieved notification they have accepted the registration?
    I didn't want to register my guns as to do so is aquiessing to the registration program, and providing them with more ''evidence'' Canadians are complying with the law, but neither did I want to have my hunt with my son ruined.It's a tough call.
    Anybody have any experiances?

2. Site Sponsor

RCMP Search

You don't have to carry any documentation on your guns with you. I ran into conservation officers a few months ago, and they asked if my guns were registered. I told them they were, and they took me at my word. (BTW: my guns are registered). If the RCMP or conservation officers insist on checking to see if they are registered, they can check on their computers, provided you aren't in the bush out of range for their computers. The onus is on them to prove that your guns aren't registered. Most RCMP members I know aren't concerned about checking to see if your guns are registered.

i was told u have to have the reg cards with u the co's arent checkin but if there is a cop there they will ask for it...i dont know what they will do if u dont have it...u can go the site online and print copies out..there is a link here some where for it i will see if i can find it again....
    here is the link
    http://members.rogers.com/pollsale/cfcr.pdf
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

RCMP registration check

CO's visited our moose camp last year and checked licences and tags[ we didn't have a moose, but our other party did]They didn't ask for firearms certificates or PAL's.In discussion with them, they carefully avoided criticising the registration law, but said they were hunters too and said they were under instruction not to ask for or check on registration.They did allow however, that had an RCMP officer been present, they may, as they were federal, not provincial.
    Of course, although I can print off the page at my office showing acceptance of the registration, I do not as yet have the actual card.
    What experiances have other people had?And if the rifles are confiscated,and I do provide evidence [ when I get it] of the certificate-how do I go about recovering my rifles-as I will likely be home bythen and travelling to the detachment would involve a considerable journey-will they ship them to my home address?

I was stopped by a CO on Sept 11 and asked him about carrying reg cards for my guns. He told me flat out that they are not checking for them and as far as he knew the RCMP are not either. Just to be on the safe side I am carrying my cards in my wallet. Better safe than sorry. Don't need the hassle of trying to get a gun back from the authorities in the unlikely event that it gets confiscated.
    Chris H.

I have been stopped twice, once by the C/O's and another time by the rcmp, neither time was a pal or reg. cert. asked for, even though l told them the firearm l had was unregistered. Both said basically the same thing that as long as provincial laws were being obeyed they weren't interested in enforcing the gun registry laws.
    At one of our recent fish and game club meetings, our local C/O was the guest speaker and he re-iterated the same thing.
    Some one posted there were checks being done on the northern routes in the province and everything being asked for. Will let you know about that, as l am heading that way in a few days.
    Some folks think the registry is a pain in the ass, but it is the law and must be obeyed. C-68 goes alot further then guns.........alot of our rights and freedoms guaranteed by other laws are being violated with this shit legislation. We would do well to protest this law any way we feel comfortable with, whether its letters to editors, protests, or a public stance defying the registry. (like the gunsmith in Ontario). We owe it to future generations of firearm owners.
    l would think with the complience you have done so far, would be your "get out of jail" card as it can be verified with their fancy data base.ROTFLMAO. You know the one, cost the taxpayers almost a million bucks and has an error rate as high as 80% according to some sources!

Good luck on your hunt........
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire

I've been stopped quite abit in the last couple years. Strange, seeing how I've hunted here for 16yrs and never saw a one!
    Anyhow, three times stopped with RCMP riding-along with the CO. Three times checked for registration cards.
    About another three times stopped by CO's alone and just a check of hunting licenses. I think they once checked the Jeep for loaded weapons in the rack, but I can't be sure. The RCMP checked the other times though.
    I enjoy hunting too much to run the risk of not having complied, and facing the music if caught. I hate facing the music....I can't dance!

RCMP registration check

I e-mailed the firearms registry asking for advice- explaining I had indeed registered the rifles and had the confirmation they had recieved the application and it was accepted, the card would be sent in the mail.The answer I was given to my question was if I asked in writing they would reissue thecards but there was no place I could view my registration.[Obviously they didn't hear or answer the question]

did u check the above link and see if u can print a copy about???

i wouldnt worry to much about it from what i have heard and read the only that will ask to see it is the police and iwould just explain to them that u have them registered and they are sendin the cards in the mail....
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

RCMP registration check

thanks for that link- but all I got was a copy of the certificate that they issue.I'm just going to hope for the best and if I'm stopped show my PAL and the the copy of the registration acceptance form and hope they don't confiscate my rifle.Too bad- even if everyu last one of us registered our rifles- absolutely nothing would be accomplished except providing jobs for bean counters.The criminal are the strongest supporters of firearms registration- because every cop investigating us isn't investigating them, and every dime spent on this ill fated and useless program isn't being spent on law enforcement.Those guys are laughing at us...