View Poll Results: where did you shot your buck this yr?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • shot in clear cut spike or 2 point

36 26.87%
  • shot in clear cut 3 or 4 point

26 19.40%
  • shot in clear cut 5 point and greater

7 5.22%
  • shot in timber spike or 2 point

19 14.18%
  • shot in timber 3 or 4 point

39 29.10%
  • shot in timber 5 point or greater

8 5.97%
  • shot crossing road spike or 2 point

16 11.94%
  • shot crossing road 3 or 4 point

5 3.73%
  • shot crossing road 5 point or greater

7 5.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: blacktail kill zones hunting poll

blacktail kill zones hunting poll

I was just curious to see where most guys are geting there bucks and the quality of bucks. the three choices are clear cuts, timber hunting and the deer just crossed the road. as well was it a spike two point 3 point ect.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: blacktail kill zones hunting poll

one two point timber

one three point timber

First buck, 4x2 pt heading up to bed in the bluffs leaving a prime slash (prime in has everything the does want which is why they were there) and from chasing these does around all night. The does were 5-700 yards away as a group and he was already almost in the timber. Its amazing how well they can almost sneek by in plain sight...

Second buck, 5x4 was bedded, alone on a mossy rock bluff in the steeps, surrounded by some big timber and thick second growth. He had a good vantage point looking down, wind at his face (normally they bed wind at their back and looking down wind I find) I came through the thick part to find him bedded this way, cost him his life.

Wife's buck, 3x3, same as above but standing, big mossy rock surrounded by big timber. Very steep spot, secluded spot.

What this means if you're looking for tips ? Mature bucks know the hidey holes, everything is often within half a km of where they hang out, thats why you don't see them, they never have to go far for anything. Often the most overlooked spots hold things you wouldn't think of finding. Over the years I have always made sure if I even remotely thought a spot MIGHT be good, check it out. For the little time it takes to do this you can either make a mental note of a good spot or write it off completely based on your findings (if you know what to look for) doing this again and again automatically narrows down the areas you end up hunting which puts you in more productive spots for more of your time = better odds. Of course timing is still everything but if you go to bat enough times, you'll hit the ball (find the buck) eventually...
    As a rule mountain game is often heading up in the a.m and down in the p.ms, they tend to spook faster when you approach from above and seem to feel safer when they are looking down at you (or less in a hurry to get away) but I can say the same for the reciprocal of this too but on a whole...
    The plus to hunting up is you see under the branches as opposed to looking into them from above (less visibility) and their vision is impaired from this. If you shoot something if you aren't packing out (boning out) its a hell of a lot easier to drag down hill than up ! That being said if you hunt the spots you often have to bone out you're hunting less shell shocked, pressured deer and usually bigger deer.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by BlacktailStalker; 11-30-2012 at 06:58 PM.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

Big timber/cliffs straight across the board

Thanks for the info guys. I love hunting everywhere and every way. shot my biggest 5 point buck to date that weighed 198lbs on a secluded river bed. But i have shot the majority of my descent bucks in clear cuts.

Didn't kill one this year, eating tag soup as I never found the guy we were chasing. Saw some spikes and 2 points, but have a moose in the freezer so no need to shoot a deer just because I could.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

I hunt the slashes in the early season, the timber later in the season. Usually.
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

I shot my 4x6 WT deer in a clear cut in late Sept..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

I shot mine in the lungs. Went down like a rock.

Wow i figured most hunters harvested deer in clear cuts and that would be the majority of the deer. hmmmmm.