Thread: Target attack

Target attack

Just wondering if anyone has had a 3D target attcked by a deer during the rut?

Our 3D buck was recently bowled over hard enough to loosen the antlers.

I'm thinking I should give it a good dose of rutting buck scent and set it up below my tree stand.

Rod
    --------------------------------------------
    "If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting." Aristotle
    --------------------------------------------
    United Bowhunters of BC (Lifer)
    Backcountry Horsemen of BC.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Target attack

We have a friend in FSJ who every year sets out his 3D whitey buck only to go and collect all the pieces the next morning. He'll do this the whole deer season and the bucks will destroy it every single night. It's hilarious.

I think a doe decoy with doe in estrus would do better to draw in a good buck personally.

Happy Hunting!
    Carl

I have had it happen a number of times
    Once I had a decoy out and a blacktail comes in and just hammers it and takes off before I could even get my bow drawn back
    Freaky.........hehe
    Promoting the sport of Archery and Bowhunting
    NCCP and IBEF Certification

Custom Knives and Game Calls

Quote....."Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid"........John Wayne
    Quote....."It is far better to be alone than in bad company"........ George Washington

I have used decoys on several occasions with great success. Never used a buck decoy for the reasons Blackteil describes. A buck most likely will rush in destroy the buck decoy then figure out it is a scam swap ends and be gone before you can get a shot off. Deer are not stupid!

Decoys work best when set up just before the hunt use some doe in heat scent, provided you hunt the rut, and use some doe calls. Setting up a decoy the day before the hunt defeats the purpose of the surprise. By the time you go hunting every buck in the area will know about the fake doe and avoid the place like the plague.

One more thing about decoys. Never use them on land where other hunters have access too. If you do you’re liable of getting yourself shot.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"