Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good binocs & GPS

Good binocs & GPS

I'm looking for some good binocs that don't cost $2000 and a decent GPS that is easy to use and small (don't need all that extra weight carrying around a bow as well). I'd be grateful for some suggestions.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Good binocs & GPS

Quote Originally Posted by 5/10/85
    I'm looking for some good binocs that don't cost $2000
    They don't exist. There is nothing "good" about buying a pair of $500 binos four times when they break/cloud/fog versus spending $2000 once in your lifetime. Leica, Swaro, Zeiss. There should be no others on your shopping list.

bushnell elites binos are about $1000-$1200 or if you want a good glass for under $1000 I've read and heard many comments that the Pentax dcf sp are top notch. swaros, zeiss, leica....you'll never hear a complaint from anyone who's used one. All GPS's are all pretty compact these days, weight nominal, you could strap it to your arm. Good luck.

I bought a pair of leopolds out of wholesale sports for under $400 and I absolutely love them. You take care of them and they will last a long while.

My son guides in the Yukon for sheep and spends ton of time glassing and binos are an absolute must and should a priority if we are upgreading our gear. Given that most of the hunters have lots of $$$, they bring up the top brands (Zeiss, etc) and they ARE great binoculars. However, in the real world, my opinion is that we regular guys need to buy as good as we can afford. Some of the guides there use Nikons, because they are good and if they get damaged on the trail (or lost) which happens a lot, you are not losing thousands. I can' t imagine telling my wife that I just lost my $2000 bino's, eh?

I just got some new Nikons and I have been real happy with them.

Check out www.binocularscanada.com Great people great service. I bought Nikon Monarchs 10x42 There is always better but these are great!!!

Plus on E-bay I've been looking a Leupold Pinnacles, some good deals going on there.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

If you're looking for a really great pair of binos for $500 bucks they do exist. Pentax makes a model called the DCF SP. Every review I have read about these binos has been incredible, and they are routinely rated as good or better than the 1-2000 dollar binos. I don't have a pair yet, just saving my money. They're going to be my chistmas present to myself this year.

As far as GPS, I have a Lowrance aviation model that you can load colour ground topo maps onto. In my opinion, a GPS should have maps to be truly useful, because then you can leave the paper maps at home and you're set with just the GPS and a compass.

good pair of 'nocs are Leupold cascade 10x42 for around $400-450, or Nikon Monarch similar price
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I have a set of bausch and lomb 8x42.I can't remember what I payed because its been like 6 or 7 years.They are great .As far as a GPS goes,I use a Lowrance H2O colour.I use it mostly for boating but on hunting trips its light and is easy to use..If you buy one make sure it has WAAS.Some of the guys I was hunting with this year, their GPS's would not find enough sat's for a fix,or would loose the signal at a very bad time...IE lost.The Chart system's for these units are amazing.

If your a weekend warrior I cant see spendig huge money on optics....But if you spend your "Life" hunting its another story.Having owned a few pairs of cheap and not so cheap bino's I can say if your serious about the outdoors spend the money.Your eyes and legs will thank you for it.
    "ETCOOMS"