Thread: Interior upland on the weekend

Interior upland on the weekend

Had a great weekend chasing pointers chasing quail and pheasants in the morning and waiting for whitetails in the snow in the afternoon with Slyfox.

Maybe Dano will help me post a pic of Slyfox with one day's bag. We ended up with three roosters, 8 quail and a mallard for the weekend. Slyfox did his usual skilled shotgunning and I wish I had the time to tell you about the astounding greenhorn mistakes I made like pulling the trigger on a flushing rooster with the safety on or missing the first shot on another one and short-shucking and jamming my pump gun trying for a second shot. Ah ... the things memories are made of.

It was my first ever outing after quail and pheasant I'm hooked.

Watching an older experienced dog and a first year pointer work the birds was amazing. All in all an awesome weekend with great company.
    Last edited by MichelD; 11-13-2006 at 08:54 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Interior upland on the weekend

Looks like you guys had a great weekend, nice roosters!
    I think everyone tries to get a shot at a rising pheasant too quickly, take your time as they level out and make for a much easier target.
    I haven't hunted over pointers for years but it's probably the best hunting you'll ever experience for upland birds.
    Dano
    Buddi doing what she does best!

Congrats Michel! So that little 20 worked just fine?

Can't tell you how jealous I am! Yet to even point on a pheseant or quail, let alone pull the trigger on one! Hopefull next year when I get my full vacation allotment, and learn BC a little better!

I'm guessing after a feed fo pheasent your wife will want you chasing them more often!

Very best,

IAn

Yes Ian, over the three days I carried Slyfox's Beretta semi, his Baikal over-under, and my Ithaca 20, and they all have their virtues, with the double's quick two shots a great advantage, but the Ithaca Feathereight 20 is extremely light, and fast too if I do my part.

Those quail are fast! I think I can honestly say that I got one out of 8 all weekend, at least I think so, but we both shot at the same time, so maybe I can claim an assist.

Looks like Black Sage bench in the background
    Pull the trigger all the way back.

Talking Re: Interior upland on the weekend

HAA! thats why I recognized SLYFOX... I saw this pic a day before i ran into him duck hunting

Nothing beats bird hunting eh?

I've only shot a few birds so far but I'm already hooked!
    KILL IT AND GRILL IT

PETA SUX