Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mulies in the open?

Mulies in the open?

I'm going soon for bow season to hunt mulies in what is really good rifle terrain...very open. Any ideas for how to get close to those big bucks? I'd prefer to stay under 35 yards for my shot (20 is better).

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mulies in the open?

Patience , Patience , Patience, getting within bow range is tough no matter how good you are, try hunting the thicker coulees and ravines you will do a lot better, hunt across the mountain not up the mountain, your best bet is to watch deer bed down and stalk them from that position, if you are patient and watch the deer you are hunting you can put yourself right in shooting position, WATCH THE WIND!!!! If the wind dictates that you go the long way around , than do it!!!. take your time!!!, the more time you spend on a stalk the better your chances of killing the buck. if anything you will learn more on deer behavior. Dont bother hunting mule deer if you get discouraged easily. cause it will happen on a regular basis, dont get mad if your first 10 stalks fail , it will happen , always ask for a little luck. Buy a pair of mocassins as they will help with the noise factor when you get in close. you will remmeber the big ones that get away more than the ones you get!!!

I got a problem trying to get them under 500!

I don't know HOW you string-pullers do it.
    The only thing that I can think of is trying to call em in, later in the rut(?)

Good luck, nevertheless.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

Question Re: Mulies in the open?

My advice on Mulies is the spot and stock method.

At daylight the bucks will want to stop moving and bed down. They don't really like the wind if they can avoid it and they would prefer a little sun on themselves.

They will likely bed down in a location where they're protected (or feel protected) from above.

My recommendation is to go to an area you know of (wind protected, sunny), watch for them, if they don't bed, wait for them to slow down. Then move around them and come at them from above or above and beside.

Keep in mind that almost always, if a Mulie is flushed out of his bed, he's going up hill, even if you are above him. Which, becomes your best opportunity.

Spot and stalk mulies can be the absolute best challenge for a bowhunter.

A few years ago my two sons, my brother and I did a spot and stalk on a huge mulie buck and as we were coming down on him from above at about 75 yards, a couple of hunters started shooting from about 600 yards out. Needless to say, our hard work was lost.

Enjoy your day.

JT

WoodOx Guest

5/10/85 I am trying to do the same as you. Although its not 500 metres of open between me and them, I m tryin to get a 3.5+ year old mulie with my compound this year.

What ive found works is to get upon them in their beds. Although this doesnt always work, especially if they wind you/hear you too early with mule deer I find they will jump and stand in their beds, or milla round for 30 seconsd before leaving when you find them bedded.

Stalk upto them, take your time, and if there is a buck present with the does than you should get a chance at a shot.
    I made the mistake of getting within range of a group with a decent buck, but took a shot at 60 yards - WAY to far for a beginner bow hunter

best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dean
    I got a problem trying to get them under 500!

I don't know HOW you string-pullers do it.
    The only thing that I can think of is trying to call em in, later in the rut(?)

Good luck, nevertheless.
    That's funny, I thought I was the only one!!!

Good luck 5/10/85
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

I agree with blacktail3113. TAKE YOUR TIME AND WATCH THE WIND!!!!!!!! If it takes an hour to get to him, so be it. I often hunt that way later in the season. I've stalked many animals, and it's quite a rush trying to get within shooting distance. Wait till you try it on 400lbs.+ bears. If you get busted, you get busted. Any experienced bowhunter knows it ain't easy.
    Good luck and hopefully you stick em'.

Wow...thanks for all the great advice. I've been to this spot for 4 years and have never taken a shot (but there are tons of big bucks there). One question - how do you wear moccassins when it's -10c?

Quote Originally Posted by 5/10/85
    Wow...thanks for all the great advice. I've been to this spot for 4 years and have never taken a shot (but there are tons of big bucks there). One question - how do you wear moccassins when it's -10c?
    wear thick whool socks
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Yup, pull the socks right up over your boots.

JT