Thread: Freezing a Bear Hide

Freezing a Bear Hide

After I cape out a bear hide, how should I go about storing it in the freezer until I get it to the Taxidermist. In a plastic or game bag? Skin out or folded in? Any suggestions?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Freezing a Bear Hide

Fold it up skin to skin, and triple bag it in some heavy duty garbage bags. Will keep for a long time.

Make sure when you roll it up... roll it up starting at the tail so the head is up. And make sure you cool the hide before you put it in a bag.

Like Mr. Bone said skin to skin. arms and legs in then roll

Thank you guys

You probably already know this but I'll add it just in case somebody reads this that doesn't.
    Don't salt it if you are going to freeze it. The salt will reduce the ability of it to freeze adequately.
    Patiently waiting here on my roof for the mob of Zombies. Can't wait!!!

If you've salted it while out in the bush, get "all" the salt off before you put it in the freezer

Just wondering what the harm in freezing a hide after you salt it? I've been told once a hide is salted it can last for months unfrozen. How it be harmed putting it in the freezer?

How long will it keep in the freezer? I've got one from last year that I have not had the money/time to do anything with. It was frozen as discribed above. Is it too late?
    But then what do I know? I'm just a lowly woodcutter.

Quote Originally Posted by TSW View Post
    Just wondering what the harm in freezing a hide after you salt it? I've been told once a hide is salted it can last for months unfrozen. How it be harmed putting it in the freezer?
    The issue is if the cape is partially salted, but still raw - as in salting the cape to start the drying process to get it home, and then freezing it rather than salting until dry. Freezing a raw cape that's got a layer of salt on it can dry it out to the point where it cant be used at all (major freezer burn), and it doesn't take very long.

salt OR freeze never both.

Srupp