Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which scope?

youngfellla Guest

Which scope?

Having a hard time deciding on which scope to put on my 416 Rigby. Right now I'm stuck between a Leupold VX II 1-4x20, or a Leupold Ultralight FX II 2.5x20. Not a huge decision, both are awesome scopes and I can't decide.

What do you guys think? This will be primarily a grizzly gun, and I will be using quick detach Talley rings so I can always take the scope off and use the iron sights for thick brush if needs be.

Should I shell out the extra $100 or so for the VX II, or buy the Fixed 2.5?

Thanks, Youngfellla

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Which scope?

Why bother with the quick detach rings when you have a low power scope? I find it easier to take a quick shot with a low power scope (<2 power) that using Irons, but that's me.

youngfellla Guest

The QD Talley rings came with the rifle when I bought it, so I might as well use them

I prefer iron sights to low power scope for thick brush, but either way works.

Fixed 2.5, if it were me deciding
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

WoodOx Guest

Hard to say in the regard of grizz, but I would go with the variable. Ive never hunted grizz, but I would assume you have some longer shots as well as short ones?

I used a 1.5-5 vari x III on my 375H&H

I liekl it alot
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I like the variable options never been a fan of fixed
    Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear.

I had a Fixed 2.5x on my 458 and was Happy with it.
    No Good for Mulies at 300 meters though..........

Yeah go with the variable. You get both options in one, you cant add the variable magnification later

The 'Hummer' Guest

Go with the Leupold VX II 1-4. Thats the set up I have on my .444 Marlin, .45-70 Marlin GS & .458wm model 70. For quick access to iron sights, should the need arise, I've used Weaver Pivot mounts and to date they've worked well for me.