Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new binocs?

new binocs?

well, i havent had a very successful season, not even a dozen grouse, and no big game to speak of, at least i'm out in the woods though. I'm looking for a new pair of binocs as all i have is a very cheap pair of hand me down bushnell's, glassing with them isnt much better than the naked eye, beyond a few hundred yards...."might be a buck or might be a doe....?" cant do much with that. So i am loooking for a cheap , but decent pair of binocs, bushnell most likely....... opinions on the instafocus, or permafocus, coatings, in a 20 x 50 or ?....under a hundred bucks is the price range

2. Site Sponsor

Bow Walker Guest

Re: new binocs?

binocularscanada.com

Give them a try. Fast shipping, reasonable prices, and quality items. All the way from "inexpensive" to "holy sh!t"

under $100, you wont find anything that great

save up and buy a $400 pair of binos
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird
    under $100, you wont find anything that great

save up and buy a $400 pair of binos
    Agreed 100% do without for the rest of this season and get ready for next year. I just bought Nikon Monarch's for just a little less than $400 from Binoculars Canada and am very happy.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

thanks for the imput guys, unfortunatley until the boss decides to give me that big fat raise i deserve 400 dollar binocs just arent going to enter the picture....when using most binoculares in the past i find i have a hell of a time focusing with both eyes, the only pair i've used without closing my left eye (why not get a spotting scope or monocular instead?)is a pair of the bushnell instafocus...is this something i will only be able to correct with a pair with diopter control ? I did just have my eyes checked in the last couple of months ......so ? any input is most welcome

Thanks

Steeleco, I use Monarch 10x40s, this is my 2nd fall using them, they're pretty darn good. The Leupold Cascades, Pinnacles, Olympics, are all good binoculars too. I think my next pair is Bushnell Elite 10x43s, retail is around $1200.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

The absolute lowest I would go is a set of Bushnell Legend porro prisim model. I own a set of these in 8x42, and they are very nice for the price. They're not exactly top of the line bino's mind you, but for $95 USD mail order, they easily kick the snot out of anything else I've looked through in that price range. Reasonably clear, rainguard lenses, waterproof, comfy in the hand, etc.

Side note - yes, the diopter should be able to correct for one eye being weaker than the other. If it can't, then you're due for glasses. The above mentioned bino's not only have a reasonable diopter - they work very nicely for a glasses wearer like me, BTW. I just don't roll the eyecups out, and hold them in front of my glasses - works great (when my glasses don't fog up).

The insta/perma-focus rigs will give you a splitting headache if you try to look through it for any significant period of time. They're ok for a quick "hey, how many points are on that antler", but they're terrible for use as a general piece of glass (IMHO).
    Last edited by brotherjack; 10-30-2006 at 04:07 PM.
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

Bow Walker Guest

I bought a pair of Bushnell's Power View binos from BinocsCanada in the 10x42 power. They were just at the $100.00 mark and they are great for me. Hope they do as well for you.

I got a pair of Monarchs as well, the best $500 (tax included) spent in awhile. I've been through the $75, $100 & even $200 ones and these are definatelythe best I've had with a 25 year warranty.

Pull your head out of your Ass
    long enough to see how stupid you look!!!!!

I have a pair of bushnell H20 10x40 seem to be pretty good for 135 dollars.