Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heart

Talking Heart

My Dad calls it "mopped duck"..lol ..not sure why...maybe so we thought it was duck when we where kids!! Anyway take your wild game heart and cut it in 1/2 but not all the way through I like to cut mine in a "C'" shape so you can lay it out flat...pound the sh*t out of it with a meat tenderizer untill you get a nice thin large round steak!! One big piece!! Take a package or two of stove top...make it......spread the stuffing over the entire heart steak....spice up with salt/pepper/montreal steak spice and some garlic!! Roll it up as tight as possible and tie it together on the ends and in the middle so the stuffing doesnt spill out while cooking...place some oil in the roaster pan and bake slowly untill meat is cooked through!! Make some mushroom gravy/with rice or potatoes and a veggy!! Cut the heart in about 1/2 inch little steaks and pour the gravy on top....mmmmmm....good!! It worked for me..I never would have touched heart if not for DAD tricking us for years!! Good luck
    Cheers Cole

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Heart

My Mom did something similar with heart.
    Except she called it Mock Duck.

sounds good. the heart is my favorite piece of the entire animal. i think most people would like it if they tried it. i usually just dice it and fry it in butter with chives and seasoning salt. delic.

my mom used to make stuffing and stuff the heart then roast it---we liked it hot, but LOVED it cold in sandwhiches!!!! mmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmm good!
    ~echo

heart is a tradition for us on backpack trips, I pack in an onion and seasoning salt fry it in "flavoured water" and it is to die for

we always called it dog food. but I will try it next time.

Sounds good i'll give it a try next time, usually i have friends that ask for the heart but i'll try it myself next time.

I make a circular cut from the top in order to remove the large arteries etc as well as creating a decent cavity to stuff, use whatever turkey stuffing you like and roast it.

My kids just love it cold on sandwiches and my daughter makes a point of getting all of her friends to try it.
    --------------------------------------------
    "If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting." Aristotle
    --------------------------------------------
    United Bowhunters of BC (Lifer)
    Backcountry Horsemen of BC.

Just so happens that I have a bison heart sitting in my fridge. I will definately give this a try.. Sounds good! Thanks

W

I have always eaten liver but for some reason never the heart, but this does sound pretty good.

What is the texture of the heart like? I would assume being a muscle it would be much more "meaty" than liver?