Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stalked by Wolves....

Stalked by Wolves....

Last fall while out hunting I had gone for a hike and was over a mile away from our camp, trudging in foot deep snow on an old logging road. I was checking out deer sign and wolf sign...when from out of the woods came the mournful howl of a wolf. And from the other side of the road came another, and another, and another.

I kept walking and the wolves seemed to be following my progress, even though I could not see any of them. When I rounded a corner, I stopped and hid behind a large rock hoping they would show and I could get off a shot on a wolf. Nothing showed, but they continued to howl and I figured that it was a waste of time hunting deer while being followed by a pack of wolves, so I turned and headed back towards camp.

Judging from the number of howls and answers I estimate there were at least six wolves in this pack stalking me..checking me out for weakness so they could swoop in for the kill!! They never did and I made it back to the camp without any events or sightings.

Have you experienced this while out hunting? How well do you think we would make out if attacked by a pack of wolves using our hunting rifles and hunting knives for protection???

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Stalked by Wolves....

I thing the first round would dispurse the animals quite quickly.

When I was young & naive I had several chances to shoot wolves but never did (strictly an ungulate hunter). Saw some cool behaviour though. Knowing what I know now, I would definitely shoot one!

That sounds freaky.....I think you'd get one or two but wouldn't stand a chance against a whole pack!

200 threads about nothing,and now u decide to tell us about a hunting experience.
    are u fibbing???

I had a similar experience, but first saw does running around what looked to be like they were playing. then noticed multiple dark shadows, around 3 I could see (Wolves) I actually wish I could have that moment back. They new I was there way before I knew they were!
    Kamloops cabins for rent!
    www.bclakefronts.com

Check out some amazing pictures on my Facebook of trophy fish and game:
    www.facebook.com/bclakefronts
    What about YOUTUBE, Check my video on how to make a Euro mount:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CanadianCade

Dam wolves almost did us at huntingbc a favour

Quote Originally Posted by Blainer View Post
    200 threads about nothing,and now u decide to tell us about a hunting experience.
    are u fibbing???
    Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    Dam wolves almost did us at huntingbc a favour
    No not fibbing, this actually has happened to me on several hunts. I don't have any fear of them, but when you come right down to it I think they could chew us up pretty easily if they chose to. Likely you wouldn't even hear them coming until they were upon you!! I make a habit of always carrying a fixed blade hunting knife on my hip just because of my encounters with wolves and cougars and other toothy creatures that may one day try to even the score. I think a fixed blade at least gives me a chance of fighting back and survival.??

are u fibbing???
    And people wonder why threads get de-railed. Give the guy a chance its a normal post dont stir up the sh!t man.

Now to CS, I think after I heard the first few howls I would have been heading for camp lol. I dont trust the sneaky *******s at all, I only trust a dead wolf. Quite the story thanks for sharing.
    You can take the man out of the wilderness but you cant take the wilderness out of the man.

are u fibbing???

And there's no poll!?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
    I think a fixed blade at least gives me a chance of fighting back and survival.??
    If you could get it off your hip in time! I doubt I could with all my layers of gear.

Maybe a combat knife on your pack shoulder strap would be better? I've been thinking along these lines since my cougar stare- down experience....but then I tell myself I'm being paranoid.

I think it's more for a feeling of security than actually being useful - though for cougars, I understand fighting back can be quite effective. I doubt it would do much if a pack of wolves was determined to bring you down.