Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Identifying Canines in the bush, forests and field meadows for hunting purposes?

Identifying Canines in the bush, forests and field meadows for hunting purposes?

----deleted------
    Last edited by Jelvis; 01-03-2014 at 02:09 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Identifying Canines in the bush, forests and field meadows for hunting purposes?

coyotes are smaller and skinnier than wolves , features are a little more feminine or even fox like ( pointier face ) . All the coyotes around here seem to have sandy coloured coats , usually a little grey under fur and black tips on the hairs .
    I believe wolves are more thick in the front , although I'm no expert .
    You see enough coyotes and you'll recognise them from a mile away . They have a certain walk , kind of a short stride and it looks like theyre running on theyre tip toes .
    Dogs seem a little more lumbering in theyre stride , they have a different gait and they almost seem more clumsy .
    I don't know about responding to a call , but when you see a coyote they always look like theyre on a mission , and they almost always seem to stop once theyre near cover and look at you . Dogs on the other hand seem to be more aimless and easilly distracted. Think of when you see dogs roaming youre neighberhood , theyre on vacation and sight seeing , wereas when you see a coyote theyre generally at work and seem to know were there going and what theyre doing .
    As for vocalising , coyotes make more of a broken yip call , not the long toned howl that wolves are known too . As far as I know , niether wild species is known to bark .
    I kill things and eat them.

Re: Identifying Canines in the bush, forests and field meadows for hunting purposes?

--------------------
    Last edited by Jelvis; 01-03-2014 at 02:10 PM.

coyotes have nicer bums too

---------------------
    Last edited by Jelvis; 01-03-2014 at 02:10 PM.

SHAKER is offline Hound dawger reborn......

Quote Originally Posted by Jelvis View Post
    I think the wolf has a tail that is held above body line while the coyote holds it tail straight out or slightly down.
    This is what some canine hunter was telling me about the different traits of canine as seen from either side view, walking or tripping along
    What worries my trigger finger and causes me to stop, look and see how it looks like someones lost malla-mute or some thing weird calms over my Husqvarna ott 6 it says no go, and I can't tell if it's a wolf or a husky domestic and I seeeez up, start shaking, Bow wow they look so similar it creeps me out. I doubt I lose my clout, I see it's snout, my mind reroutes, I shout out, I dang yah dawg- a -dangy dangy a double dingy dingy- doggy dog a K9-
    Jelly(K9)hunting .. Yah know whad I meen? Talk to me
    Take'em both and don't worry about it.
    The thread stopper!

I think Metallica wrote an album about this?? Kill Em All...

Quote Originally Posted by Jelvis View Post
    I think the wolf has a tail that is held above body line while the coyote holds it tail straight out or slightly down.
    This is what some canine hunter was telling me about the different traits of canine as seen from either side view, walking or tripping along
    What worries my trigger finger and causes me to stop, look and see how it looks like someones lost malla-mute or some thing weird calms over my Husqvarna ott 6 it says no go, and I can't tell if it's a wolf or a husky domestic and I seeeez up, start shaking, Bow wow they look so similar it creeps me out. I doubt I lose my clout, I see it's snout, my mind reroutes, I shout out, I dang yah dawg- a -dangy dangy a double dingy dingy- doggy dog a K9-
    Jelly(K9)hunting .. Yah know whad I meen? Talk to me
    I think first you work on your language skills, then move on to predators. I'm not sure if it's Jelvis I'm replying to or Snoop-Dog LOL
    Courage is being scared to death
    But saddling up anyway.

"Take 'em both and don't worry about it" is about as good of advice as it gets.

SHAKER is offline Hound dawger reborn......

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    I think Metallica wrote an album about this?? Kill Em All...
    1979 I believe? and still true today!
    The thread stopper!