Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harlis, Squaws, and a Scoter Slam!!

Harlis, Squaws, and a Scoter Slam!!

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Harlis, Squaws, and a Scoter Slam!!

Lorne; I know my eyes are bad but come on! Let's see "em????
    Cheers----Field Marshal.

This okay Tony?

1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Yum Yum, bet ya can't wait for the big Sushi feed hey, you invited CF? K

That's too funny Kelly. When I got in the "tub" I was told since I was a first timer hunting with them, I either could get the birds mounted or eat them raw on the boat.

Needless to say my taxidermy bill will be epic this month hahahah. Already two Pinnies there now, 4 different species in the freezer wrapped up from today and maybe we'll add a couple more tomorrow
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Yup!!! That's a SLAM!! Nice going guys!----Field Marshal.

Here's how I prepare em...used to make a big batch after a good shoot of eiders back east and feed them to the students on field trips, never had an unhappy customer!

Sea Duck Sammichs....

Start by slicing the breasts into 1/4-3/8" strips

Soak in heavily salted water in the fridge, change the water at least once a day for 2-3 days.

Make a marinade 1 part oil (olive or canola, or mixed) to 2 parts vinegar (split the 2 parts into 1/3rd balsamic, 2/3rds red wine) add garlic, powdered/granules or fresh, your choice a bit of salt and a good measure of black pepper. This is the base marinade, add whatever else you like to it.

Drain and rinse of the breast strips, transfer to the marinade and let them sit overnight minimum...

Now go get some good crusty rolls and cook up so caramelized onions and get a jar of mayo.

Stir fry the stripes HOT till they are still pink in the centre, split bun, toast, slather of mayo, caramelized onions, add cooked sea duck and ENJOY!

Very best,

Ian

PS there are very few bad tasting ducks, there are however a lot of people who can't cook duck!

Well Ian. I followed the recipe to a tee and it turned out amazing. 2 days in salt water changed twice. Over night in marinade. And cooked up, absolutely no different then any other waterfowl puddle duck I've ate really.

I will say I cooked the onion perfect, they were the best part mmmmmm tasty.

The other thing, I was amazed at how small the breast meat on scoters were, like wigeon sized almost, I guess they don't get huge muscles from flying must have HUGE legs though. I ate pretty much two scoters in one sandwich.

You have done well young Jedi, very very well!

Ian

PS once you get heavy into the whistlers, I'll tell you the trick to cleaning them.....

is that because you want us to struggle with thme for a while? hahahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.