Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bear Spray, hand gun, rifle, or defender....what do you carry when bowhunting?

Bear Spray, hand gun, rifle, or defender....what do you carry when bowhunting?

Ok this is a carryover from another archery site but I thought I'd pose the same question here....

I do carry bear spray and use common sense and I am quite aware of my vulnerability when I bowhunt. Ok I would love to pack a hand gun but the legalities of it all precludes me from doing so.

There are some other tools such as a 12 guage defender that others use but I find too bulky. That said, if the $hit hit the fan, I'd probably wish I had something besides bear spray!

So what do you carry or do while bowhunting?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bear Spray, hand gun, rifle, or defender....what do you carry when bowhunting?

Most bow hutners I know carry nothign more than common (or not so common) sense. A few pack bear spray, which is not apoor idea.

Hnadguns are somewhat probematic since you need a Widerness ATC to carry one, and you are *supposed* to be engaged in work (not bow hunting) when you carry it. However, most people that are willing to go throught he process obtain the proper permits in BC.

Rifles and shotguns are also a probem, since they are bulky and heavy when you are already carrying a bow.

Whiel it is illegal, I have also heard of bow hunters putting a pistol in thier pocket, and just keeping it hidden in camp or when in transit.

I personally have no problems with handguns, and feel that anyone who is qualified should be able to carry a handgun in the bush for protection, but again, it is illegal to do so without proper permits.

I dont' consider myself a bow hunter, and feel that the hutning rifle I have is more than adequate, so no need for ahandgun, or bear spray.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Cool Re: Bear Spray, hand gun, rifle, or defender....what do you carry when bowhunting?

Ya watch your back and I wouldn't carry a handgun.

Re: Bear Spray, hand gun, rifle, or defender....what do you carry when bowhunting?

Depends. If am alone in griz country, pepper spray. I am an just in black bear country typically nothing. Unless I am chasing bears then I have a 12 gauge for walking in on the downed animal.

Not overly worried, I have dozens of encounters every year without fail and only had once charge so far, and that was just a bluff. Altough I have worked in areas when we have problem bears then a 12 gauge sides me.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

Don't pack anything just common sense and keen awareness of my surroundings..

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby
    Not overly worried, I have dozens of encounters every year without fail
    Treadwell never had a Prob for 12 years either..........
    But we all know how that ended
    (jk )

I don't Bow Hunt.....yet
    If I did I'd carry something that goes Bang for sure.
    Maybe even just for approaching a downed animal as Kirby Suggested

I have actually had more concern with cougers when hunting late season mule deer. Griz (knock on wood...) have been fine but black bears have been an issue on several concerns.

As mentioned I only carry bear spray and LOTS of times I have fogotten it. I've always hated returning in the AM to finish packing out an animal (I've had a rifle with me) and wondering if anything was going to be sitting on it. I am sure you have all had similar feelings.

I no longer work in the forest industry so I can't provide a really good work excuse to get the ok of packing a handgun and IMHO the $hit would hit the fan if you ever got caught packing one illegally. Risk is not worth it to me.

A very good friend of mine was mauled by a bear a number of years ago while timber crusing (walked in between a sow and cubs). He always said that if he had had a hand gun, he felt he would have had a better chance since he feels he could have gotten it out. However that said, he did survive the attack with considerable injury though but perhaps if had merely wounded the bear, he could have been way worse off....

I through this thread out in the bowhunting section since when I used to rifle hunt, it was never of any concern to me. Now that I am no longer "armed" so to speak, I was ,merely curious what others do.

Just a note on handguns for BEar Defense.

Phil Shoemaker - An Alaskan outfitter that has had more encounters with LARGFE coastal grizzlies than most of us will ever have said somethign like this:

A handgun is not as good as a rifle (clearly)

Most bear encounters are not "quick, bear sees you charge" encounters. (IE, you have time to draw your weapon, and diffuse the situation- most of the time)

Handguns can allow someone to diffuse a situation, better than no gun at
    all.

Handguns are much more portable.

It is unthinkabe that you can stand your ground agianst an aggresive bear (although that is what you shoud most often do) wihtout a firearm. A hndgun will give you that confidence.

He sites a great encounter. His daughtwer was guiding soe guys, she climbed to the top of a bank of a river, and found a sow and 2 cubs. She backed away, drew her 357 and talked tot he bear. She stood her gorund, at a safer/non threatening distance. The sow was aggresive at first, then deemed her no danger, rounded up her cubs and left.

HAd she RAN, the sow may have been triggered into a 'predator/prey" reaction. HAd she been unarmed, she woudl have lacked the cinfidence to stay put, slowly back away, and deal with it.

I've never been *charged* by a bear, but I have been stalked by bears and I have *stood down* plenty, wiht a gun in my hand and sometimes not. I was not happy without a gun.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I usually carry bear spray and a sharp fixed blade knife. I do some prospecting and am waiting for the results of my ATC application, but am unsure I will get it as it is not my full time job... Seems the gov is pretty anal about how you can protect yourself in the bush! A shotgun is noce, but so bulky when panning/sniping, etc...

Troutseeker

they need to change that stupid atc law why can you carry one when youre working and not when youre bowhunting, its silly. why can one individual defend themself and another not, it doesnt make sense. i went on my first bowhunt this year and the biggest difference was being without a gun, not a big deal but i would like to carry a handgun for the times i do go out with a bow