Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear defense question

Bear defense question

ok, so i was directed to this site from a buddy. I know alot of you guys hunt bears out there so i figured this would be an appropriate site to ask this question. Im more of a fisherman myself(i admit, id like to hunt more than i do)
    my question to you is what would be the best gun to carry out fishing incase of a bear attack?
    im thinking a short barrelled shotty? not sure yet on pump or semi-auto..

also what kind of load should be putting in? 5 slugs(im from AB )? buckshot/slug combo? in wut order?

Thanks for any info..
    and if any of you guys are in AB for some fishing email me and ill try and set you up

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bear defense question

.12 Gauge 20" Barrel Folding stock (easy to carry in a pack) good bright fast sights (I use fiber optic on my bear gun) PUMP action for sure nothing worst then having a Auto jam when yogi is licking his lips on a full charge , Slugs and Buck shot will do the trick , But slugs would be what i Prefer.

Id take a Marlin lever gun in 45-70, loaded with heavy 400+ grain hard casts
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

youngfellla Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird
    Id take a Marlin lever gun in 45-70, loaded with heavy 400+ grain hard casts

Yeah, come to think of it, that combo works pretty damn good

My choice hands down is the Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70. 18.5 in barrel and 420gr hardcast will make most bruins think they got hit with a freight train. Only 6.5-7lbs with iron sights. Light and fast handling.

Don

My choice would be good old brass knuckles and fight like a Saturday night in a Surrey bar.
    Hope this helps!
    Traditional Bowhunters of B.C. (region 2)
    United Bowhunters of B.C. (life time member)
    BCWF
    Chilliwack Fish & Game
    IDPA

How come Gatehouse hasn't answered this thread? What the hell is going on?

A MArin Gude Gun in 45-70 is a sledgehammer bear stopper, but there is not doubt that it is more expensive than a pump shotgun.

If you are looking for an easy to pack, inexpensive option, I'd get a Norinco 870 clone from MArstar, wiht a 14" barrel, and have a gunsmith isntall some rife sights on it.

Then I woudl load it with 23/4" Brenneke slugs.

The Brennekes wi penetrate ike crazy, the 2 3/4" slugs are more than enough and lets you recover form recoil faster than the 3" slugs.

Buy some cheaper slugs to practice with, but zero your shotgun wihtt he Brennekes, and pack them in the bush. They are more costly, but what is your life worth?

Practice with your firearm, even thoug it is expensive. See above.

I far prefer a large caliber rifle to deal with bears, but for a short, packabe solution the shotugn works well. Folding stocks and pistol grips are not preffered by me. Since a shotgun reaches max veoecity quite quickly in a barre, I'd prefer the shorter barrel and a full stock for maximum control and aiming.;
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

PS tghere is no point to buckshot in a bear defense situation. At longer ranges the shot spreads out too much to be effective, and at closer ranges it doesn't spread out enough to give any advantage over a slug.

Why shoo the bear int he face with buchshot to "turn him" or "blind him" when you coudl just shoot him in the face with a slug and kil him?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

.Anything in a lever gun! A 30-30 on up loaded with good bullets. My Black bear protection is 220 gr speer from a 35 rem marlin.336 18.5 "

If fro Blackies a 30-30 trapper with 170's and practise

If for grizz. a 45-70 GG with Garret bullets and dont practise you wont wanna shoot the gun at all..!!

Shot guns please.lol
    Only stupid people are never wrong.