Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question: Do The Biggest Mule Bucks Ever Show In Daylight?

Question: Do The Biggest Mule Bucks Ever Show In Daylight?

deleted----------------
    Last edited by Jelvis; 01-02-2014 at 07:51 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Question: Do The Biggest Mule Bucks Ever Show In Daylight?

Jelvis,
    The biggest bucks never like coming out in openings during daylight hours. Only during the rut will the odd one let his guard down. The only way to kill them is to get in that thick crap and hunt. If you like reading books by the old timers, pick up How to Find Giant Bucks by Kirt Darner. Put all the BS aside that you may have ever heard about the man, there is no doubt the guy knows big bucks.

My dad and I got our mulies last year in the open during daylight but we were in a really low pressure hunting area and earlier in the season.My dads buck was bedded in the open in a cut block grown up with about 4' alder trees,glassed the areas really well and found him

Big bucks don't get big by being stupid. They know when hunting season comes around and they know where they "Shouldn't" be at that time.

As they get ruttier they get stupider and slip up and make mistakes. The mistakes they make are usually related to chasing tail I have found.

Happy Hunting!
    Carl

I shot the booner in my avtar at 11:00 am, nov. 15. i was high on a ridge and spoted him in his bed in the thickest willow bottom bush imaginable! no human would ever walk there, was hell to get him out!! The way I understand it is, some deer are nocturnal, and some are day dwellers, the nocturnal deer live to be big! Also why ya see so many deer at night! Another note, i knew there was a good deer pop. where i shot my hog, but there was no sign of a huge buck in the area. (eg. big rubs)
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

Biggest bucks are in the timber. Sure you will find good bucks sometimes in the fields but the biggest bucks are in the timber or in rough terrain.

The fellow who shot the current number one mule deer is also an outfitter and he knows the biggest bucks are in the timber and if you want to be successful on big bucks, thats how and where you need to hunt them.

To answer the question ....

Go in after them ......... takes a mighty good hunter to pull out big timber bucks.

Bottom line is, you need to be able to adapt readily to different hunting conditions and methods that will increase your odds of putting the cross hairs on a big buck. All depends on the time of year, the weather, hunting pressure etc. etc..
    Last edited by BCrams; 07-18-2006 at 09:02 PM.

Last edited by Jelvis; 01-02-2014 at 07:51 PM.

I think it would be safe to say that most of the bigger mule deer are shot later in the season. This is because the bucks are in the rut and the majority of the animals are migrating from summer to winter ranges. Knowing these migration corridoors are a big advantage in harverting a deer of some significance.

Knowing these migration corridoors are a big advantage in harverting a deer of some significance.
    The breaks and terrain around some of the major rivers and creeks in muley areas are a good starting place I think.

Happy Hunting!
    Carl

Actually, wait for the snow and look for the tracks. Still those big buggers are hard to harvest.