Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: canoe float hunt?

canoe float hunt?

I want to get out of my truck this year. I'm thinking about trying float hunting. I did a bit of reading about it on an Alaska hunting forum.
    Do you guys have any experience or tips to share?

I'm thinking that once I get a canoe and more experience, I would like to go from Lillooet lake, east of Pemberton, to the top of Harrison Lake, down the Lillooet river.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: canoe float hunt?

Sounds like quite the experience, hope you get some insight !

but you just know I gotta....

Last edited by Will; 02-27-2011 at 12:47 AM.

I haven't been on the lilloette river, but man does harrison lk ever kick up some nasty chop. My wife and I gotted dropped at the top of the lake and had someone pick us up in harrison. We did a lot of the trip at night since that was the only time the chop settled down.

Be prepared for a rough ride. There are not many places to land a canoe on the lake either.
    But then what do I know? I'm just a lowly woodcutter.

Good to know, buck nash!
    Using Google Maps satellite view, the river looks wide and lazy, but its the real world info that I want to have before doing a float. I hope to practice on some mild rivers before hunting for real.

My tip of advice would be to not use a canoe, order one of the SOAR inflatable boats or an inflatable raft. I have 2 of the SOAR magnums and have been on one float hunt for moose. It was a good time but next time im going to go on a river that has more current to it. Check out www.pristineventures.com as im guessing you were on the alaska outdoors float hunting forum reading there.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Unless you're using an outrigger, the recoil from a powerful gun if fired at right-angles from a canoe can flip you over. Firing from the front to the rear, or rear to the front, puts your companion at high risk.

There are sections of BIG water below little lilloet lake before Harrison Lake. Know of guys that have had issues in jet boats down there.

Done a couple of the rivers up north in a canoe. Fun and quiet, just make sure you have plenty of time to hunt.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Someone from HuntingBC had posted on the site a couple years ago that he had Riverjet take them way up the Muskwa and he floated down in a raft. Maybe he will post if he see's this. That would be a great trip as you can float right down to Ft Nelson and there is no crazy water on the Muskwa.

You can drift the prophet as well. Then all you need is a vehicle and a good thumb to get back. Cheap trip.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela