Thread: Salmon fishing

Salmon fishing

My nephew wants to go fishing for salmon this weekend, any ideas what's out there and where to catch them? and what kind of tackle will I need?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Salmon fishing

Well, where do you live? Actually in Vancouver! Are you willing to travel? If so how far? What kind of boat do you have? There are lots of fish on the northern end of Vancouver Island. For you unfortunatly, you have a two hour ferry ride and then a minimum of three hours driving after that! Mind you it is the long weekend. I suggest you call Barry's Bait and Tackle on Westminster Hwy and 8 or 9 Rd. in Richmond if you want to fish localy, they will send you in the right direction, though I believe it to be a bit early for fishing down there!
    Last edited by Wildman; 06-27-2006 at 06:19 AM.

Fraser, Stave, Vedder, Harrison, Capilano....

Whatever the last guys post was supposed to be about.. funny? theres tonnes of places to fish for salmon on the mainland.

Lots of "chrome on the roam" right now

There are some chinooks starting to show up in the Fraser by now. Here are a couple of articles on fishing methods.

http://www.guidebc.com/articles/earlychinookfishing.asp
    http://www.guidebc.com/articles/chin...ngonfraser.asp

I haven't heard any good reports from the salt chuck recently so the river might be your best bet right now.

There might be the odd coho showing up in the Capilano too - I dunno. Check the FishBC forum and the forum at Fishing With Rod for fishing reports.

the cohos are starting to pile up for their run up the Cap......but the next month or two is the best time. If you happen to hit a fresh run coming in.......then try hitting them between 20-30 feet of water. We were out trolling one night last summer and could not get a sniff but saw schools of them eveywhere......the next night we managed to get into a fresh run and could not keep them off our lines!

It is hit and miss out there.......but this advice is coming from a guy who has fished out there a lot, but I ain't no pro!!

One other site to "tune into" is www.bcfishingreports.com

This 28 lb spring was caught in Chilliwack area of the Fraser River by this happy kid last week..Spend your money on better things than ferry fares and fish locally.....
    Last edited by abbyfireguy; 07-02-2006 at 03:47 PM.