Thread: How to sharpen Montecs?

How to sharpen Montecs?

I have some new montec g5 broadheads I would like to sharpend up.

I was wondering if my diamond stone I used for sharpening my draw knife would work?

what type of motion do you use? just a forward push on the stone? Do you have to make sure each side gets the same amount of strokes?
    Do I have to use water or oil for lube? When I used it for my draw knife I didnt have to use any.

thanks for the help

2. Site Sponsor

Bow Walker Guest

Re: How to sharpen Montecs?

Quote Originally Posted by pupper
    I have some new montec g5 broadheads I would like to sharpend up.

I was wondering if my diamond stone I used for sharpening my draw knife would work?

what type of motion do you use? just a forward push on the stone? Do you have to make sure each side gets the same amount of strokes?
    Do I have to use water or oil for lube? When I used it for my draw knife I didn't have to use any.

thanks for the help
    Being an ex-meat cutter of some 28 years, I generally use an oil stone for sharpening my broadheads, including the Montecs that I just traded Cowboyup69 for. If the oil stone does not have the correct angle for the blades, I will resort to my low speed wet grinder to put a useful angle on the heads.

When using my oil stone I use both forward an backward strokes, trying for an equal number of each. I finish with a few LIGHT strokes in both directions and then go to my leather strop to do the final touches - which are very light.

I hope this helps you.

Dan.

what about the special montec sharpner?

is that a marketing ploy or a useful way to sharpen them?

has anybody used them?

A flat stone is all you need. It works perfectly!

http://www.g5outdoors.com/Products/P...px?productid=4
    Last edited by Triggerman; 06-23-2006 at 10:52 PM.

Bow Walker Guest

From all that I have heard - the G5 stone works well. I just don't think it is necessary if you have the skill and the patience to "do-it-yourself".