Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thunder Head Broadhead

Thunder Head Broadhead

anybody use them?Good, Bad,any opinions.?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Thunder Head Broadhead

I have used a variety of BH over the last dozen years and it always seems they build a new and better one each year.

I have used the thunderheads before and harvested a nice two point muley. The blades have to be the sharpest I've ever seen.

There are a few things that made me switch from the thunderheads are:

-The 100 and 125 grain have a 1 3/16th of a cut which makes for a great cutting diameter but a finicky tune when your bow exceeds 275 fps.

-the blades are set into a slot along the ferrule. I did have a few blades come out into my target and I discovered that you have to inspect the broadheads after every other shot for tightness.

If my bow shot less than 270 fps I probably still use them.

My 2 cents.

I do. I am not the dedicated bow hunter that some here are, but my limited experience with them has been good. Harvested a couple of deer using thunderheads and they preformed great.
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire

I used to use the Thunder Head 125 and they work well. I flinched really bad shooting at a stone ram and ended up hitting him in the horn about 3-4 inches from the end. A friend of my uncles ended up shooting him a couple of weeks later and the broadhead was still stuck in the horn. When I went and looked at it I was amazed at the damage that it had done. It almost cut the end of the horn off and it was still intact with the chisle point sticking out one side and the end of the threads sticking out the other.

Quote Originally Posted by bwhnter
    I used to use the Thunder Head 125 and they work well. I flinched really bad shooting at a stone ram and ended up hitting him in the horn about 3-4 inches from the end. A friend of my uncles ended up shooting him a couple of weeks later and the broadhead was still stuck in the horn. When I went and looked at it I was amazed at the damage that it had done. It almost cut the end of the horn off and it was still intact with the chisle point sticking out one side and the end of the threads sticking out the other.

Thats Amazeing how it stuck like that...and didn't knock the ram out .....hahahaha but I guess they are used to butting heads..... cool how ya got to see the ram with the arrow head still in it.

I found them to be fine on aluminum arrows but the blades would be loose on graphite arrows. UBARs helped on Beemanarrows but they won't help on Easton Graphites.
    I am currently using Wasps and they seem to be fine.

I started off using them and shot a nice Blacktail doe with one. Complete pass through. I now use Muzzy because I like how thw blades are held in better.
    It's better to pass on a shot that you wish later you took, then to take a shot and wish later you didn't.

I shot t-heads for years, took mulies, whitetails, and bears with them. However I don't like how the blades are slotted in, as I've heard stories about them coming out with carbon arrows. I switched to Slick tricsk this year. If I was still shooting aluminums I'd still be shooting t-heads.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

Thanxs for the info guys, i'm going to give the thunder heads a try and i'm also going to try the montecs , if i don't like the way the thunder heads perform.

Dont waste your money on thunderheads, go straight to montec g-5's. they are much better.
    Thunder heads have to have alot of attention to get them to perform good eg. blade swapping and arrow changing. I also find them very long compared to montecs.
    I shot a bear from 25 yds with a thunderhead and it worked good although it didnt pass through.
    The biggest problem with thunderheads is the inconsitancy. When I was tuning them and sighting in with them they would swoop all over the place. With field tips the arrows were fine. I tried spinning them until there was no wobble by blade swapping and interchanging the arrows, and still no improvement, They fly all over the place. and yes my bow was just tuned up so everything on the setup is perfect. I would not have the confidence in those inconsitant broadheads to shoot at anything, Go with montecs. The fixed blade is way better/truer, and get your veins put in line with the blades.