Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cryptococcus

The 'Hummer' Guest

Thumbs up Cryptococcus

For years I've had German Shorthair Pointers, excellant for the kind of hunting I'm interested in and the distance I want a dog working in front of me. When I retired, I thought I'd try something a little more mellow & slower . I've never seen a kinder looking face than what you see on a Golden Retriever or a Yellow Lab. I opted for a Yellow Lab and in every way, she has become a very cherished member of our family. She's just over a year & a half now but shortly before she was a year old, she started sneezing quite heavily every once in a while. A short time later I started noticing blood in the discharge and her appetite started dropping off. They love their food so the drop in appetite wasn't a good sign. We took her to the vet clinic and after a pretty gruesome procedure on her nasal passage and some tests, the diagnosis, cryptococcus, a very serious fungal infection. When we fully realized the degree of seriousness we were devistated . For the first few days after the procedure, to get her to eat anything, what I ended up having to do was physically force small pieces of chicken down her throat with my fingers. If that would've continued any longer, I was probably within hours of having her 'mercifully' put down. I can't recall the name of the meds she was on but they were pretty harsh. After a period of time on Lillydale chicken, then later ground Deer meat, raw veggies & fruit, she started coming around. A short while ago the vet, seeing she was quite improved & because of blood work concerns, took her off the meds. I would say now, she is back to normal as far as I can tell and wolfing down her daily DOG FOOD rations. I'm fresh out of my ground Alberta Mule Deer meat but it couldn't have gone to a better cause .
    If any of you out there are experiencing similar problems, hang in there. It takes a while but things do get better.
    Last but far from least, I can't praise all the staff at Provost Veterinary Clinic in Duncan enough. their efforts, kindness, consideration & dedication are second to none.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Cryptococcus

glad to hear everything worked out for you and your dog. Any idea what caused it?
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

The 'Hummer' Guest

Lip_ripperOO;
    At the time, I did some searching on the net where a number of scources were listed, one of the most common, pigeon droppings.
    On the island apparently cryptococcus first made its appearance mid island on the east coast. There is some suggestion four people have died from it but I have nothing to confirm that. There have been some reports of livestock contracting it & having to be put down. Actually, in Chemainus, another case involving a dog has just come to light.
    From what the vet told me, on the island it seems to come from the bark on older growth trees. For the safety of the wife & I, our neighbors as well as their pets, I asked & was informed it is not contagious. Its in the air, and if you're going to get it, you'll get it. Appaerntly those most susceptible are those with a 'compromised' immune system or older animals & people. Thats what suprised the vet so much about our pup getting it is she is so young & healthy.

Hey Hummer ,Your dog has a good and caring owner .
    What is her name ?

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

The 'Hummer' Guest

Greybark, you'll love this one, even though like myself, you're also an archery enthusiast. Her name is Tikka. The wife & I couldn't agree on a name so our daughter did the honours. My daughter is heavy into hunting and doesn't own a Tikka rifle so how she came up with the name is beyond me.

glad to hear your dog is doing better,i know what you must have been going thru my golden retriever gets siezures and is on medication to try to control them.There is nothing worse than that helpless feeling you get when your pet (family member) gets sick and there is nithing you can do to help.I hope tikka fully recovers and stays healthy.

Hey Hummer , Tikka and the chuckle at your post , A good one !

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

The 'Hummer' Guest

So far so good bsa30-06. Its just within the last week or so her appetite has returned to normal. At this point in time about the only thing that hasn't yet returned fully is her sence of smell. That may have been effected by the procedure done to her nasal passage in the beginning. If thats the only thing that doesn't come back, so be it. Even with a restricted sence of smell, she can probably put up a lot more birds than I can hit with a shotgun. May have to hunt Grouse a little less & Ducks a little more.
    I know what you mean about dealing with siezures. One of my shorthairs had that problem and we couldn't find a med to help. The hardest part was the feeling of helplessness. He'd look at me and other than trying to comfort him, there was nothing I could do to help. They are family and devoted without any conditions.

Hummer, what meds did you try for the siezures?currently we are giving our retriever phenobarbatol , and they seem to be working well she only gets them about twice a year now.

The 'Hummer' Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bsa30-06
    Hummer, what meds did you try for the siezures?currently we are giving our retriever phenobarbatol , and they seem to be working well she only gets them about twice a year now.
    Wish I could remember but I can't. I had that particular dog about 25 years ago. Sorry. Your dog only requiring phenobarbatol twice a year, that sounds pretty effective to me. We were 'trying' meds considerably more often than that. There were a few we tried but they didn't seem to help much. Keep up what you're doing & good luck to you & your dog.