Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day 1 @ Cowichan 3D Championships

Bow Walker Guest

Thumbs up Day 1 @ Cowichan 3D Championships

Arrived at the Clubhouse by 7:10 a.m. Right on time. My "team" was no where to be seen. Typical.

I headed inside to register and was promptly relieved of $30, although it was with a smile. Not from Janis though....she hadn't had a chance to get a cup of coffee yet.

Speaking of coffee! Went straight for the kitchen and was happy to find that coffee was FREE! Since I was informed by the ticket seller that it was free with breakfast, I "donated" .50 cents into a cup. The coffee was well worth the price though......you could stand a Linejammer in it.

Since my shooting "buddies" were still on the road I got my gear together and headed in the direction of the practice butts. That was when the team finally showed up.....all excuses about someone named Bonzo, who was late getting out of the sack.

After a few practice rounds the five of us headed out to target #1 of the 30 target round. Only one round today, although it was a two arrow round for those that had a bit of a tough time judging distance. Good thing to (for some of the team)!!

We hit the first target at about 8:25 a.m. and I got a harsh reminder of why it is not a good idea to drink several cups of coffee on the drive up from Victoria and to then go in and get one of the TOUGH cups that are brewed at the clubhouse. First target was a "5". Next time I will stop to eat something! It took a couple more targets for me to settle down, but that's life in the big, cruel city.

The course? What can I say!! I have heard about the famous "Hell Hole" but had never experienced it, until now that is (more later). Overall the course was SUPER. Lots of interesting shots - both uphill and downhill....one or two at severe angles but not out of the realm of what you would find out in the bush when hunting. Just a very good mix of easy shots up to tough shots. Doug Gardiner and the rest of the volunteers are to be congratulated. A very well laid out course......

Except for #28. Nothing seriously amiss with this target but #29 was directly behind the animal that was #28!

To be fair, there was a screen of relatively thick brush and trees between the two targets. But with the way "today's" compound bows shoot arrows it is not beyond the possibility of a stray arrow somehow getting through the 25 yard screen of brush and trees. It gave the party ahead of us a reason to hold up and wait til we had shot #28 before they were comfortable about proceeding to the stake at #29.

Call them overly cautious if you will, but we waited for the party behind us to shoot before we took up our position on the stake at #29 as well. It just made us a wee bit of the willies to know that someone was back there lining up on the target while we were not that far out in front of them.

Anyway - rumour has it that after a gentle tease to the 3D director when we got in to the clubhouse, the problem was addressed.

Good on ya Doug!!

Our party of five shooters went around the course in about two and a half hours, and we were not pushing it. Yours truly is not in the best of shape and two other shooters had problems, one with his ankle and the other with his hip. It was the "Hell Hole" that slowed us down. That is one steep climb down there! Not to mention the climb back out of there. The target placement on the banks of the Hole were well placed to say the least. The one shot down the steep embankment to the Full-curl Ram was a doozy. Gotta judge the distance and also allow for the downward angle as well. Sure made you stop and think.

We were huffing and puffing some when we got to the top of the hill again. Glad for that water bottle I carried. Also VERY nice to see the aid station down at the bottom of the hill, just after the walk along the river. Nice touch guys. Pop, Juice, and Water, all it needed was some kokanee.

We exited the course right beside the clubhouse and were greeted by the smell of BBQ ! ! Gotta love that! Yes we were hungry by then! Starving by the time we cleaned up a bit and hit the kitchen. All was quite for about 10 minutes as we were face-down into our chow. Cheese burgers with lots of fried onions, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, mustard, and ketchup....with a side of nachos or potato chips thrown in. All for $3.50 was a steal to be sure. Cold drinks, hot coffee, and a gentle ribbing form the peanut gallery who were not shooting.

Well. We've shot the 30 target course. We've sat and had lunch. We've had our B.S. session about how great we all were and how we meant to miss that target completely (eh Ron?). We even went out and shot at a $5 dollar bill from 70 yds. First one to hit it gets it. Great fun. Now what do we do for 5 or 6 hours until dinner time??

By the way, when I went in to buy my burger I got a peek at some of the stuff for supper. Mmm, mmm, good. But what do we do until then??

A couple of the guys were beginning to set up a "fun-shoot" or two, but it is a long time until dinner.

Someone came up with the idea of shooting another "fun" round on the 30 target course. So we went in to find somebody in charge....only to find out that the course is "now closed" - period. No ifs, ans, buts or maybes. It is closed.

We even suggested that they charge $5.00 per shooter to go out and have a second round, not counting the score of course. All five of us would gladly have paid. But "the course is closed"

We heard from a number of other shooters that they would've liked the opportunity to go out again - even paying $5.00 for the chance. After all it was only noon and the last shooters allowed to go out on the course had left at 11:00 a.m.

We and a bunch of other shooters wanted to contribute more to the coffers of the Club. But........ You guessed it - "the course is closed"

Time for a hint to the organizers - Want to generate more revenue for the club? Here was a prime opportunity that was missed. I know of at least 8 people that went home. These 8 would've paid to shoot a second round as well as paid to stay to dinner.

But what the heck.....it gave me and others a chance to go home and do some chores so that Sunday could be "guilt-free".

Do not get me wrong. I am not bitching just to stir it up. In fact I am not bitching at all. I genuinely want to see this club (and others) do well. Both financially and membership-wise. Happy shooters are more willing to fork out $$$ than grumpy shooters are. Just a thought.

I will be there for the second half of this two day affair, and I will continue to support this club, my own club, and others as well. I just love this sport.

Sorry for the long post - and thanks to anyone who took the time to read it.

Dan. (one who needs and appreciates the exercise that the Hell Hole offers)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Day 1 @ Cowichan 3D Championships

I also went to day1 of the Duncan shoot. I arrived a little late and after registration I proceeded to go over to have a few warm up shots. There were only two people there. One person shooting and another pulling arrows. I asked the guy "Do you think that is safe"? He said she was 6 paces to the side and that it was ok. Myself. I didn't think it was ok and would not shoot any arrows as I would have to go and pull them. He was shooting at 55 meters or yards. To my way of thinking that is not safe. What do you all think?

Although I was not there today, maybe they closed the course so it would be safe to hold some fun shoots. We will be doing the same at the nanaimo summer classic. Just because of safety, and not wanting anyone being in ANY danger of a stray arrow. Or possibly coming out somewhere they shouldn't, and being behind a fun shoot range.

There is a ton of effort, planning, meetings, and work parties that go into each and every shoot. Sometimes a screw up happens with targets, being too close. We try our best to provide a fun and safe event for everyone.

Marc
    JB flang is my hero.

Moose guide infamous quote.
    "when you shoot em just right their feathers go puff"

Bow Walker Guest

Just for clarification....the funshoot area is well away from the 30 target 3D course. Safety is always the first concern of anyone planning a course. Which is only right.

I realize that target placing and stakes need to be moved for the next day's shooting, but this could be taken care of by a few volunteers between 7 p.m and 8 or 8:30 p.m.

Again. I am not complaining but rather suggesting ways and means to generate more money for the club in question. I was quite happy with the way things went today, and I will gladly be there tomorrow.

:with my best stone face: this is a hunting site if you want to talk about non hunting bow shoots go to the non hunting bow site!!! Sorry had a few rums could 'nt resist hope you guys all had a great shoot
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

Bowalker,

Yeah, I know what you mean about shooting a second round. My boy wanted to head out again but we waited for a while and ended up having a blast at the fun shoot. Shot flu-flu's at bow birds, running deer and finally at a 'clout' target set up only about 35m away. Had to shoot 'straight up'. It was a lot of fun. Zach won 5 bucks on that one.

Awishanew,

6 paces seems way to close to be shooting while someones pulling arrows. In fact we always sync it so even if someone is shooting closer, you pull arrows at the same time. I know I sometimes need to shoot closeup for the young'uns, and if we do we make sure we're way the hell over. Sometimes there's not even enough room so we have to wait.

I can't say why the course was closed like that. I know there was an incident in the AM. I think it was at target 9 (two raccoons). A young compounder had an itchy trigger finger and released while he was still aimed well above the target and the arrow landed in the midst of the group in front of us at target 14 or so, (the deer in the creek bed). The girl (Wes Reed's wife I think), was only grazed in the side by it, but it caused a bit of panic while they got the target moved and everything under control.

We had a great day and we'll be back tommorrow for more.

Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    :with my best stone face: this is a hunting site if you want to talk about non hunting bow shoots go to the non hunting bow site!!! Sorry had a few rums could 'nt resist hope you guys all had a great shoot

I guess you better lay off the rum, this is a target form, the hunting form is the next one.
    New 2011 PSE Omen Pro
    56/29 340 fps
    VICTORY ARROWS

I'm glad everyone had a good shoot. The Problem target was dealt with [ one in a million]

Sorry about you not getting to shoot again but the last two years was 40 targets and some people said it was to much so we went to 30 now its not enough, can't please everyone all the time. Have to put a time to it at sometime.

To bad you were a litle impaciont, sit around B.S [some are good at that] The fun shoots started soon and were great,have a couple brews.

Dinner was awsome the cooks did a great job and all the deserts [including cheesecakes] were homemade by our cooks.

Day two should be just as good, nice lil' stroll in the park [ even for us old guys].

Not many goodys [pies,cheesecakes,and such] leftover for sunday, but should be a few.

Come for a great breakfast again put on by our JOP kids,coachs and helpers.

Then our nice ribbons and THEN all the draw prizes [deers mine], lots and lots of them to go around.

Doug and the few helpers did a great job.

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp...p=ZNxmk873DNCA
    Last edited by Eagle1; 06-03-2006 at 11:48 PM.
    New 2011 PSE Omen Pro
    56/29 340 fps
    VICTORY ARROWS

Awishanew. Very dangerous !!!! Not aloud at any shoot I have ever attended. Every body shoots from the same line, when done someone yells clear and we go and get our arrows. Only way it is allowed. Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills

The 'Hummer' Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle1
    I guess you better lay off the rum, this is a target form, the hunting form is the next one.
    Good point.