Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BC Goverment wildlife auctions?

where the hell am i anyways this isnt where i left the truck

BC Goverment wildlife auctions?

Its been mentioned that the poached ''Munson Buck'' should go for auction, and I once shot a yukon grizzly in self defence and I was told it would go for auction when I turned it in. So here is my question- where and when do these auctions take place? You hear about them but no one I know has ever attended one. Thanks
    YJ
    Many a child journeys this high to be different. To get from here what their natures couldn't get them below. lt comes to nothing. Can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got it own ways.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: BC Goverment wildlife auctions?

Quote Originally Posted by yukon john View Post
    Its been mentioned that the poached ''Munson Buck'' should go for auction, and I once shot a yukon grizzly in self defence and I was told it would go for auction when I turned it in. So here is my question- where and when do these auctions take place? You hear about them but no one I know has ever attended one. Thanks
    YJ
    They used to hold these auctions annually, I was at one in Invermere once. I don't think they've held one for several years now. When they did, none of the good trophy heads were ever offered for sale, the Salmo ram, the Spences Bridge and Kamloops Lake rams, several deer that I know of, the Arrow bull elk, etc, were all mounted and put on display at various government offices in the province. The Munson Buck will likely never be in an auction just like the other many large trophy heads that were poached or picked up have never been offered at auction.

I heard there is one every year for road kill and found animals.

Recently the Wild Sheep Society had a large pickup Spences Bridge ram mounted (190+ B&C). The Ministry remains as the owner of the head but because the Wild Sheep Society paid for the mounting, the society stipulated that the head must be on public display and the society can use it at their convention, events etc. The head is currently hanging in the Wholesale Sports in kamloops.

I believe the society has also just recieved another large ram (180+ road kill from the Chasm herd) to have mounted. Once again the Ministry will remain as the owners of the head but it must hang in an area for the public to see. Not sure where it will hang.

I think its great that things like this are happening. I would hate to see these large heads in auction as they would end up in some private collection south of the border never to be seen again. These animals belong to the people of BC and should be on display for people to see, not in the back room of a MOE office or in some MLA's office in Victoria.

BHB

Quote Originally Posted by yukon john View Post
    YJ
    I know a guy that shot a large bighorn and it ended up being a few millimeters short so it was confiscated. He went to the auction and bought it back (I believe he spent a few thousand on the cape and a few more thousand on the horns).

BHB

X 2,Some guy in Texas buys it and tells a great story?Naw,don`t like that at all.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    I know a guy that shot a large bighorn and it ended up being a few millimeters short so it was confiscated. He went to the auction and bought it back (I believe he spent a few thousand on the cape and a few more thousand on the horns).

BHB
    was he from 100 mile house

What's the munson buck?

Quote Originally Posted by silvertipp View Post
    was he from 100 mile house
    Dont think so.

There is an auction every year in Prince George. My neighbor always comes home with something interesting. I can't remember the timing though sorry. If it hasn't been posted yet I'll ask him next time I see him.
    Twist and pull.