Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cops and dirt bikes yesterday

Cops and dirt bikes yesterday

So my son and I left home before sunrise yesterday, got to the FSR while still dark, got the bikes off the trailer, got the pack's sorted and rifle in its rack, Our bikes Honda xr's have no Headlights..... Breakfast was served (bacon rolls and coffee) just as dawn cracked.

We took a leisurely ride up the FSR and over the mountains, away from the Sunday rat race, known as the Chilliwack bench road. Bridal falls our intended destination was a good ride off in the distance, along the way we stoped and glased numerous cut blocks saw a number of dear, but a 4 pointer or nothing - was the call for the day.

Having spent a really great day out, hunting, riding and just really enjoying the country and scenery, we headed back towards our SUV around 4 pm.

About 400 meters from the car, a cop comes riding up on a quad and indicates for us to pull over.

Not really to bothered, we slow down and stop, Josh hits the brakes a little hard and skids maybe 12 - 18 inches - then stalls, he is nervous of-course.

The cop walks up and asks for our third party insurance - I just pull my BCWF Card out, and explain that if he wants to see the actual documentation he can accompany us to the car - which I point out as it is clearly visible from where we are.

He took one look at the card, he had of course noticed the rifle on its rack and simply nodded that the card was fine.

Then he started having a go at Josh - accusing him of reckless behavior, and all types of crap. The kid just sat and took it all in, apologised for skidding on the wet mud surface and said he would not do it again.

The cop then goes off to his quad, to get a book of some sort - I guessed a ticket book, to write us up for something or another.

He comes back with a book and starts writing a ticket, reckless driving seems to be the main contention, when he asks Josh for his BC driving licence - Josh replies that does not have one - the cop starts writing him up for that too.

I tell josh to take his helmet off and show the cop that he is only fifteen.

The cop is now staring at the kid realising that he is probably up shit-creek without a paddle - I then ofcourse ask the dumb question about licence requirements for riding on FSR'S.

The cop realising that we were about 350 meters from the start of the paved road, and still clearly on a FSR just looked dumbley at me

You could see the penny dropping in the cops expression, but not wanting to look like a complete blithering Idiot still wagged a finger at Josh and told him to be careful.

Seeing that we were heading towards our car, he put the ticket book into his jacket pocket and rode down the road, off the FSR and parked in front of the Car, waiting for us to ride onto the paved road ........

Giving the twat a cautious wave, josh an I turned around and just rode up the road, leaving him watching us, and most-likely tearing that ticket up.

So what did we learn?

The cops in Chilliwack know and understand the BCWF insurance rules, having a rifle on the bikes showed we were hunting, and they accepted it as much.

Josh needs to keep calm, and stop gently when confronted by the law.

And there are not a lot of deer along that FSR or in the cut-blocks.
    Last edited by Kudu; 10-18-2010 at 11:44 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"It is astonishing how much room there is in the air around a duck!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!- Rudyard Kipling

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012

This is where I come from (click)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Cops and dirt bikes yesterday

I hate it when things like this happen, just because it ends a good Vibe for the day!!

Nice to see you had all T's crossed and the I's Dotted.

MTW

Sounds like a great learning experience for the kid, good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn Wonderer View Post
    I hate it when things like this happen, just because it ends a good Vibe for the day!!

Nice to see you had all T's crossed and the I's Dotted.

MTW

To be honest mate - it did not really worry us.

I was confident that the BCWF insurance had us covered as long as we were hunting or fishing - just as the person had said when I called, to make doubly sure.

The Kids and I love getting out on our dirt bikes, we love hunting the back country, and don't really want to tag out to soon, as it will curtail these weekend adventures of ours. I know once the snow comes we will be restricted - but in the meantime......

I can see why the cops blitz that area, there are many out there that need to slow up a bit. Some of the things we have seen people do on their atv's and dirt bikes around there is quite astonishing, having said that - we have met many, many great people out there in the past and I'm sure we will meet many more in the future.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"It is astonishing how much room there is in the air around a duck!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!- Rudyard Kipling

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012

This is where I come from (click)

vortex hunter Guest

yeah cops have nothing better to do that ride all of the fsr and try and ding people. My cousin-in-law ride's at chipmonk creek in chilliwack and says there like scabs thier . They want you to have a license plate on your dirtbike like yeaaaah okay buddy like he is gonna put a plate on his nice kx450f . anyways it's alot to do with the guy's on quads riding around with a whiskey bottle between there legs.. anyways I think our bcwf card is good enough. And he should have left your son alone ..... I would take your son and fight that thats bullsh_t like pickin on a little kid SAD very SAD and me talking I didn't try to offend any police officers from this SITE ...thats my 2 cents

Probably a member of the special detachment of fun police.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Besides $200,000 liability insurance and helmets, a driver's licence is required when riding on an FSR.

It's probably a good thing that the Officer wasn't up on on all the rules that apply when driving on an FSR. Actually, maybe he was and decided to give the boy a break for not having a drivers licence or his own liability insurance.

The second paragraph on the attached pamphlet pretty much spells it out.

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hth/enginee...afe-Travel.pdf
    "If It Doesn't Feed, It's Junk"

I'll break it to you gently. Your son needs to have a valid drivers licence to ride on FSRs along with the required insurance. You cannot get insurance without a valid drivers licence.
    Maybe the cop did not know all the rules, afterall, they have to know firearm regulations as well.
    On the other hand, maybe he was just being nice and didn't want to end your son's otherwise good day with a ticket.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

vortex hunter Guest

why would you need a driver's license on a fsr when your car insurance is nill-in-void on any fsr anyhow thats a joke . I have dirtbiked for years since I could walk and find it a farce . this bs about having insurance started a year ago after idiots who drove around drinking on the quads , dirtbikes and have hurt people . whats the world coming to ....
    Last edited by vortex hunter; 10-18-2010 at 01:39 PM.

The kid is 15...he can't have a drivers license.