Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall Tents, every thing about them

Wall Tents, every thing about them

Always wanted one, always go on big trips each year usually with the same guys and I think it's time to get one. We'll probably all chip in (3 or 4 of us) So;

1. Where did ya get it from and how much?
    2. How many guys stay in yours and is it big enough ?
    3. What didnt you get that you wish you got when you ordered it ?
    4. Tell me anything I might want to know before making a final decision.

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wall Tents, every thing about them

BlackTail,

My dad has an "eena" tent made by Beckel canvas out of washington state. He paid around $700 USD for the tent and shipping.

My dad used these tents along with heavy canvas wall tents in the mountains of north eastern BC guide outfitting for over 40 years.

It will easily sleep 4 guys & gear easily along with your wood stove.

I think a vestibule or undercover area aside from the living quarters would have been cool. I like how http://www.deluxewalltents.com offers this.

I would be buying a wall tent myself this year but my Dad has already said he would give me his when I came up Sheep hunting this year.

Happy Hunting!
    Carl

Black Tail,
    Ours is a 14 x 16 sleeps four with your stove and all you gear with ease. Its always nice to set up another enclosed space for cooking and staying out of the weather. We bring a piece of mill felt for our floor of the tent makes it nice, easy to keep clean etc. things we should have bought, better wood stove ( ours was not air tight and some one had to get up and feed it during the night, if you wanted it warm in the morning), that didn't bother me to much, but a good solid stand for a water jug inside the tent is nice, so when it gets cold your drinking water etc. doesn't freeze on you. Oh Yeah a shortie shotgun for when the bears peek their noses in is nice. by a real good cot if you use one. The cheap ones frames break real easy if you sit on the edge.
    red neck pick up lines:
    do you have a library card, cause I'd like to sign you out.
    if Yer gonna regret this in the morning, we can sleep til the afternoon
    You might not be the best lookin girl here, but beauty's only a light switch away.
    Your eyes are as blue as window cleaner

I stayed in a 14-16 wall tent this last nov--feb 2 of us . Couple things i would do is build a internal 2+4 frame spray it good with tompsons water seal and make a fry. I know one of the sponcers of this site makes wall tents but surpluss herbys in kamloops and willys puddle has 14-16 woods for under 800 bucks.

Five foot walls make a big difference room wize from a four foot wall.

I have an old 9x12 canvass tent-but would like to get a bigger one.The woodstove is definately the way to go.I'd llke to be a bit more informed as to what type of fabric and general quality to look for-brand names to either choose-or avoid.I also have a $200 10x20 tarp garage and that have definately proved invaluable for cooking, keeping gear dry, and sitting out of the rain

I think most wall tents are made out of 10 oz. duck i think its called some of the more expensive ones are made out of milddew proof canvess. I have a 8+10 woods and a 14+16 pioneer that was up all winter on the top of a mountain above lumby with no ill effects.I have not seen a bad wall tent i think any will last a long time if its put away dry.

When you get a Canvas tent and if there is a chance of Snow make sure that you have a plastic tarp to cover the roof part as the snow slides off plastic much better than Canvas.

Awesome guys !
    Good luck on that sheep hunt Bigwhiteys, that's I deal if I ever heard of one, a sheep hunt AND a wall tent!

I always tarp my wall tent if there is a chance of rain/snow.I was thinking next year I will attach a ring to the tent guy ropes by a simple knot so I can use shock cords to hold the tarp on and extend it beyond the tent roof,allowing rainwater to drain well away from the tent walls.I always think of this stuff when I'm using it-but put it off untill ''next year''