Thread: Question: Recurve Bow Draw Length

Question: Recurve Bow Draw Length

Hey folks,

My father in law has a custom recurve bow that he would like to give me...I have plenty of experience with compound bows but zero with recurves. The problem is that I have a 32" draw and he has a 30" draw, are recurves like compounds in that they should be tailored to your specific draw length?? I do believe it has a 60 lb draw weight...Many thanks in advance.

'rifle
    Last edited by longrifle; 06-21-2010 at 10:40 AM.
    Nearly all people can stand adversity, but if you want to test a person's character, give them power.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Question: Recurve Bow Draw Length

Quote Originally Posted by longrifle View Post
    Hey folks,

My father in law has a custom recurve bow that he would like to give me...I have plenty of experience with compound bows but zero with recurves. The problem is that I have a 32" draw and he has a 30" draw, are recurves like compounds in that they should be tailored to your specific draw length?? I do believe it has a 60 lb draw weight...Many thanks in advance.

'rifle
    I assume with a 32" draw your are not only a longrifle, but a longfellow. Performance will depend on the length of the bow. If it's a short bow and with a 32" draw you may compromise performance, but there are ways around that.

If the recurve is a 62" there should not be much in terms of performance issues. The bow is likely built for 28" or 30" draw length. Probably says so on one of the limbs. At a longer draw you just add to the speed of the arrow.

Thanks for the info J T.

So, the extra draw length won't cause the limbs to come apart?

Thanks.

'rifle
    Nearly all people can stand adversity, but if you want to test a person's character, give them power.

Bow Walker Guest

As J_T said - as long as the bow is in (or around) the 62 inch long area you should be good to go. The extra draw length will just add a few extra pounds to the draw weight. Start flinging!

I doubt very much that you will draw a recurve bow to the 32 inch mark. The rest is as JT says. Have fun.

Take off two inches (for Trad form) , your normal and OK.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

I'll check the overall length of the bow out this weekend and fire away, thanks for the advice!

'rifle