Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Shooting

Buffalo Shooting

Last Saturday I drove up to Rhyason's Ranch (RR) and came back Monday with buffalo quarters which I took to DiMassimo's for cutting. The trip went well from the time I left the bunkhouse until I returned from shootng the buffalo was less than 2 hours. I helped a bit with the skinning, but they have all the tools and equipment to quickly process an animal and are very experienced. For those who would worry about shooting from a vehicle I got out and shot the buffalo behind the ear from about 10 yards as she was walking away from me with a 275gr bullet @2650 fps and 4300 ft lb energy from ym 338 Win. The surprising thing is that the rest of the herd just stayed there and watched. They did'nt spook.

I was told that a person can come up to the ranch and stay in the bunkhouse, rustic, for up to two days at no cost when shooting a buffalo. There are several empty beds to put your sleeping bag on and cooking utensils, stove, refrigerator, cups, plates, knives and forks. It cost me $470 for gas to drive there from New West. I think the best deal would be to stop there after an unsuccessful hunting trip up north. Yearlings are $500 and 4 year olds are $800. the big bulls are a LOT more.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Buffalo Shooting

Sounds pretty cool. Were is RR located?
    Si vis pacem para bellum
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Hey Alremkin,

Cool. Glad to hear you had a good time. I have been to Rhyason ranch many, many times over the years. I am the one who recommended it. The meat is absolutely awesome. I'll be taking a buffalo or two myself this year.

Obviously Hans wasn't the rancher who took you out as he would have made you shoot from the truck... lol...

Good Stuff!

It gets really busy there into deer season... It's not uncommon to see trucks driving around town with a flatdeck trailer full of dead Buffalo.

Happy Hunting!
    Carl

enjoy the meat. Glad the trip went well

Does the ranch have a website?
    Si vis pacem para bellum
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There's no web site that I know of for the ranch. They arn't selling any more buffalo until the fall. Since they're on a satellite phone if you want to call them I'll give you the number in a PM.

Brad Martin is currently managing the ranch. I told him I prefer to shoot standing up. He told me that's ok but just don't make any quick movements which might spook the herd. So I got out of the truck clamly loaded my rifle, sighted behind her ear moving with her as she was walking and POW! Her head hit the ground first then her body followed like being hit by a big wave which is actually pretty close to how it is, the hydrostatic bullet wavefront. I noticed Brad's eyes went a bit big seeing how quick she hit the ground and the way her body followed he just said, "Good shot." No follow-up shots were needed.

You still havn't said where they are located. Fred
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by Fred
    You still havn't said where they are located. Fred
    Yeah, lol
    Si vis pacem para bellum
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The ranch is about 40 miles northwest of Fort St John.

Have you figured what it comes out to per pound after all the gas money, fees to take the animal, and butchering?

thanks