Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: black and white turkey?

black and white turkey?

Iwent turkey hunting on sat and came across this guy. this isn't a pic done in black and white nor is it photoshopped just in case you guys ask.
    i know this is the first time i've ever seen one . he was with another jake and a hen at the time

would you have shot him??
    no vegetables here

2. Site Sponsor

Re: black and white turkey?

Hell yeah!Pretty unusual looking bird.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

oh and i managed to get my very first turkey at 50,lol
    the turkey seminar was my ticket at bagging him. i have to thank Huntwriter once again

i managed to blow his neck clean and lost his beard in the process. i shot him at 10 yrds just as he crested the bank.
    no vegetables here

maybe thats the oldest turkey in BC and hes gone grey????
    On another note, the beard attaches to the chest, not the neck!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

i dont quite understand how you lost his beard. unless you shot him right in the chest.
    way to go on your first turkey, it looks pretty big.

Quote Originally Posted by mgnm300 View Post
    the turkey seminar was my ticket at bagging him. i have to thank Huntwriter once again

i managed to blow his neck clean and lost his beard in the process. i shot him at 10 yrds just as he crested the bank.
    That right there thrills me to no end. Getting your first turkey made my day. I just come home form a one week turkey hunting trip with a novice turkey hunter and have a lot of catching up and deadlines to meet. Report will follow later when I have more time. Thanks for the kind words.

As for the grey turkey: It is a fully mature bird and should therefore not have such a badly torn up tail. This makes me think it might be a member of an escaped domestic variety.

As for shooting the beard off on your Jake. It happens faster than some may think, especially at close range and holding a little low. The beard does not grow out of the chest. The beard is located where the neck changes into the chest, right between the "wishbone".

Next time aim a little higher right about in the middle of the featherless neck and a little higher at close range. regardless of that it is a job well done.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

Maybe that turkeys been standing next to the road for too long and now hes just dusty

Quote Originally Posted by mgnm300 View Post

Way to go!, Thats a great turkey...Congrats. Who cares about the beard?, you can't eat it... That other grey turkey should be shot and put out of his misery. He's just plain Ugly....
    " You know you're in Goat country when it takes both arms
    and legs to climb and you can spit down on sheep". Patrick Stephens

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Extra points to whomever can post the best pic of Christys boobs!
    "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

thanks for the comments ,,it was an awesome day of hunting,,what a rush,,definitely hooked on turkeys!
    no vegetables here

[quote=d6dan;663376]Way to go!, Thats a great turkey...Congrats. Who cares about the beard?, you can't eat it...

On a side note, the beard is somewhat important!!!! Your required to leave it on until you get home as proof that its a legal kill!
    "my friend" fully skinned one out one year, and packed it on ice as we were camping, and it was hot out! Fortunately we saved the beard, wings, and tail feathers as a novelty.
    We got checked by the CO and issued a warning, he said it was a pretty common mistake as we were all new to turkey hunting a few years ago!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!