Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gutting/field dressing

Gutting/field dressing

With the bear season opening pretty quick, and with me just getting into hunting big game. Is there a web site/diagrams that will tell you how to gut/field dress a animal?

I know it sounds stupid, but sorry.
    Si vis pacem para bellum
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Gutting/field dressing

you can actually get all 4 quarters and back strips off your bear without gutting it unless you want to save the hide. no blood or guts to deal with. just skin around the quarters and take the legs then run your knife down the spine and peel back the skin and take the strips and any other meat that you want. I believe by law you must take 4 quarters and strips at minimum, I try to take everything that I can.

Quote Originally Posted by hutch
    you can actually get all 4 quarters and back strips off your bear without gutting it unless you want to save the hide. no blood or guts to deal with. just skin around the quarters and take the legs then run your knife down the spine and peel back the skin and take the strips and any other meat that you want. I believe by law you must take 4 quarters and strips at minimum, I try to take everything that I can.
    You can do the gutless method, and still save the hide. Its alot easier than dragging the bear out.
    Here is a link to a site, and some pics.
    http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/magazine/blbcare.htm

In the regs is says all edible meat must be taken, IMO, 4 quarters, backstaps, tenderloins, and neck, and depending on how busted the ribs are you can take them too, but legally they can be left behind.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

Ok thanks.

Just to ask, what does guttin a bear smell like?

lol, cant believe i just asked that lol.
    Si vis pacem para bellum
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

icpaintballer I found most the bears i seen taken when gutted smell like fresh cut grass. i hav a funny story for you my first big game animal was a black bear i was around 21-22 when i shot it been hunting since i was 13 dad took me on lots of trips but we were never lucky enough to get any thing. any was dad decided to stay home and i buddy and i were off first time with out dad and my buddy i think it was his first time hunting any way we were driving down the road and he spotted a black bear just sitting eating blue berrys well i got out it was a face on shot i took and i ended up gut shooting him well i hit the whit pactch on his chest and the bullit put a big hole in hime i was 10-15 yrd away with a 270 150 grain bullet any ways bear rooled and ran up a hill we found him few minutes later and well time to see if all the reading of books paid of on how to clean an animal well it was all fine prety easy acwaly and then i went to wash my hand and they were stained blue i could not figer it out i was excited i final got my first anilam but worried as you hear bears carrie desisus so an way we are on are way home and i all worried what kind of desisus i got from this bear we swing buy my dads to show my bear not big 5 1/2 footer and i showing my dad my hads telling him i scared i cought somting from this bear my dad calmly asked wear i shot the bear told him i think i cut shot it dad then asks what the bear was eating i explained blue berries and my dad with a little sniker well son when you eat fresh blue berry do your figer tips turn blue well i just put my head down walked a way thinking i was a dork. any ways just thought i would share that storie one of my best memirys of hunting and i sure many more to come

i have some better advise than the other guys and im sure they will agree. if your an amatuer hunter or rookie to big game, YOU SHOULDNT BE BEAR HUNTING BY YOURSELF!!! its not advisable to anyone really but especially a newbie. bearhunting is not sacred or secretive like other animals (eg. big bucks) most any hunter should be happy to aid you in yer first bear. to answer yer quo gutting most any animal isnt much different than gutting a fish. but bears do stink and they are my least favorite thing to gut!!

mark i think smell may be diffrent for ever one or some people may have weaker or stronger sense of smell i am sure fish bear stink but i would not know i never shot a fish bear most of the bears i seen taken and i have taken one my self did not stink at all i find for me personal grouse in early oct stink worse then any big game animal i have ever delt with

270win, great story. What kinda of dieses do bears carry? And are they harmful to us?

Mark, I deffinanlty wont be hunting alone. My neighbour will be backing me with with a 7mm Rem Mag. I of course will be using my 270win.
    Si vis pacem para bellum
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by 270WIN
    mark i think smell may be diffrent for ever one or some people may have weaker or stronger sense of smell i am sure fish bear stink but i would not know i never shot a fish bear most of the bears i seen taken and i have taken one my self did not stink at all i find for me personal grouse in early oct stink worse then any big game animal i have ever delt with
    To me, grouse when gutting smell like chicken.

Bear and deer cant be that bad to gut?
    Si vis pacem para bellum
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by lcpaintballer
    270win, great story. What kinda of dieses do bears carry? And are they harmful to us?

Mark, I deffinanlty wont be hunting alone. My neighbour will be backing me with with a 7mm Rem Mag. I of course will be using my 270win.
    i know bear carrie the same dieses as pig and all you have to do is cook the meat well i dont think there any thing else that can harm humans but that and for some reason the name slips my mind of that dieses