Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: okanagan turkey

okanagan turkey

well I have done some searching and read the one thread about kelowna area turkey hunting, however that was from 2005.

Im new to hunting and I am seeking a little advice or direction where to look for turkeys.
    I have read they are elusive birds, however I am up for the challenge.
    I have heard the rock creek area is a good spot to look, however a little help from some of you pros would be great full.

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: okanagan turkey

Lots of information on this website for a novice turkey hunter. There is also going to be a turkey hunting seminar in Keremeos on March 28. Here you find more information about the event.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

I'd love to attend to learn more about those birds really want to hunt them but Keremeos is a little far.
    Vegetarian.. ancient word for poor hunter...

First...welcome to HBC
    Second...we have a simple "rule". Your first post should be a "joke". So get on it.

Now to answer your question. Ive heard of some turkeys around here. More near Beaver/Dee Lake chain. Carefull there is privet land. You WILL find them there. So get good at callling and bring them to you. Good luck.
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc

Go to Grouse River Outfitters and buy the DVD Primos Mastering The Art (turkey calling). I learned alot. And you get a free mouth call.
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc

A mouth call is the last thing a novice hunter should use. It can take many months to learn how to use them properly. In fact I know of hunters that use diaphragm calls for years and still scare more birds with it then they call in.

Spend the money and purchase a wooden box call and a glass or slate call. These calls are standard equipment of every turkey hunter and are easy to learn. Once tuned properly these calls make a natural turkey sound that are hard to beat. There is a good reason why professional turkey hunters carry these calls as standard in their turkey vest.

Anybody coming to the seminar in Keremeos, bring your turkey calls along and I will help you to tune them and teach you the four basic calls you need to know.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

I spotted some turkeys today, I'm going to see if I can bag one tomorrow. I'll post pics.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

on the subject of OK turkeys ....
    whats the hunting like around Oliver ...

My inlaws own a house there and will retire there in a few years ...turkey hunting is a great way to spend some time with family ...
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey View Post
    on the subject of OK turkeys ....
    whats the hunting like around Oliver ...

My inlaws own a house there and will retire there in a few years ...turkey hunting is a great way to spend some time with family ...

There is NO HUNTING around Oliver No Whitetail, No mulies, No moose, no elk ,no ducks or geese, no pheasants or quail but especially no turkeys. All there is here is grapes and wine drinkers
    Pull the trigger all the way back.

Quote Originally Posted by bogman View Post
    There is NO HUNTING around Oliver No Whitetail, No mulies, No moose, no elk ,no ducks or geese, no pheasants or quail but especially no turkeys. All there is here is grapes and wine drinkers
    Ok then thanks for that ... I'll tell my dad who grew up there that all animals wents away and theres none left ...

My Dad as a kid worked at the old Fairview GC ... His father Irrigated most of that valley ... I spent most of my Formitive summers there ... My Grandparents place was on Crook st. .. I think its 73rd now, either way at the end of the block was the outdoor pool.... My Inlaws bought a place up on the hill in the new section
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask