Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: my first compound bow

my first compound bow

Well i made the leap into the bowhunting/archery world today.I bought my first compound bow today, but i'm almost afraid to tell you guys what i bought.My first compound is a browning rage ($380.00 bare bow) it is left hand and 60-70 lb pull.It has a cobra 3 pin sight,stabilizer,strap,and a whisker biscuit rest (here it comes go ahead make fun of my rest) , and a dozen aluminum easton arrows with field points for now.I'm not sure what kind of broadheads i will use yet, and i bought a used hard case for it and a cheap four arrow quiver for now.I'm also using a T.R.U ball release.O.k guys fire away let me know what you think , give me your opinions, but remember I,m a beginner be gentle.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: my first compound bow

Well, guess I'll leave the bashing to somebody else, and say nice set up. Now remeber to keep on shooting, practice makes perfect. As for the rest, personally never shot it, but heard great things about it as a hunting rest. The site, I also shoot Cobra sights and love mine, no compaints on that. As for the bow should work well. I haven't owned a browning for awhile, but I loved my old one.

So whats your plans with it? I highly recomend spring bear season!

Anyways, congrats on the new toy, and enjoy, its a big learning curve, I'd recomend hitting up a club and shooting there, learn more with a couple of good shooters in a night than you will in a year alone.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

Kirby, spring bear will be a little to early for me i want to get alot more practice in before i take it out, but you can bet i will be spending alot of time at the range practicing i really enjoy shooting this bow.I have also joined the burnaby archers and will definitly be watching and listening to what other members have to say.

PGKris Guest

Well get rid of the whisker bisquit I don't know anyone who has ever shot well with them. They are terrible for hunting. I hate them. Myself, I wouldn't pull over 60 pounds because it's overkill. That's just me. Other than that sounds like a good bow. Browning have always made solid bows. Get lots of practice.
    KRIS

The browning rage bows say that bow is 60-70lb. but they are easily adjusted lower as mine is . These bows have a wide range of adjustment when it comes to draw wieght

PGKris, what are you using as a rest?

PGKris Guest

NAP Quiktune 3000

good choice bsa 30-06 pgkris have you ever actually used a WB rest they are a very good maybe the best hunting rest on the market for several reasons.

Good choice, my first and only bow is a browning rage and it has done everything i wanted it to except for getting me close enough to a buck for a shot because its obviously the bows fault.

BSA 30-06 Browning has a very good reputation for building a solid bow, not a lot of bells and whistles but solid functional shooters for sure...good choice for a first bow on a budget. Aluminums are often not the best choice for a beginner as .....well....stuff happens while you are learning that can result in a lot of bent arrows, my choice would have been some good solid utility grade gold tips. As to the cobra sight...good choice, rock solid. As to the whisker biscuit....some folks really like them. I spend my life ensuring my arrow gets off the bow as cleanly as humanly possible with no contact anywhere... therefore not my personal preference. All in all your set-up will serve you well if you put in the time and effort it requires!

Good luck!
    Chris

P.S. good answer about not being ready for spring bear....you've got the right mindset for archery!
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Hey kris, I know a few guys that hunt with the wisker biscuit and like it because the arrow cant fall out of the rest, and i'd guess you wouldn't like much over 60 pounds, you wouldnt be able to pull it