Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSE Deer Hunter Compound Bow

PSE Deer Hunter Compound Bow

Im thinkin about purchasing a PSE Deer Hunter compound bow, jus wanted to know if anyone ever had one and what their thoughts of it were. Im goin to get it in the next 2 weeks, any info would be helpful. I got about $500 to spend on a decent starter bow, loaded with everything. Dont wanna buy used, even though it would be the best idea but I want a new one. Well any info would help
    Thanks
    Cliff

2. Site Sponsor

Re: PSE Deer Hunter Compound Bow

well PSE has a history of limb problems....they do warranty them no problem but there is the hassle involved. That being said i have been hearing that they MAY have finally done something about the cracking limbs that have plagued them for years. Without trying to sound elitist I will say that for the most part you do get what you pay for in the archery world and for that kind of money for a completely set-up bow you will probably find it to be "adequate" to start you out, but as you progress and learn what you like/don't like I fear you will become dis-satisfied fairly quickly.

As always...just my opinion
    Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ya, I hear what your sayin. I've also heard they are not fast at all, around the 200 FPS mark, some said a lil higher, some said a lil lower. And with the small weight pull, it wouldnt be a good idea for deer. I dont know yet, I gotta go to a course right now, but hwen I get back, Im gunna research some more bows that are in my price range, and get some opinions on them. Thanks willy.

Cliff, check to see if Martin has some kind of a package deal this year. They had one last year that was very reasonable. Fred
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Ok then, I heard the Nova RF is a good bow to begin with...For $335.00 from National Archery Supply, is that a good or better deal then the Deer Hunter?...Any opinions on that?
    PSE NOVA RF
    Brace Height: 7-3/4"
    I.B.O. Speed: 295 fps
    Axle-to-axle: 35-1/2"
    Weight: 3.7 lbs.
    Let-off: 70% actual (75% effective)
    Item #0402RF

That a good deal?
    Last edited by cowboy-up69; 02-28-2006 at 01:37 PM.

Cowboy, I owned a nova for a while, I found it to be a decent bow. My suggestions would be definatly look around. If you are interested in coming down to langley, let me know.

I would call a couple shops, give them a price, and ask their opinions on what to buy. Pro-shops are good, another good thing is other shooters, hit up the Penticton shoot, and check it out, look around, ask around. Everybody has their preferences, and their loyalties(me included ALPINES RULE! ).

Also, about shops, make sure they know what they are doing. There are guys in buisness who have NO IDEA about gear.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

Yes Kirby, that sounds like an idea, Im gunna call around and stuff. I'll give Specialty? A call before and see what they say, and then I'll figure out if I'll meet ya and head down there. When do you plan on going?
    Cliff

I bought my first bow two years ago, a browning rage. its an awsome starter bow. it has HUGE draw length adjustment and the poundage can range from 45-55 or 55-65, depending on what model. also shoots around 290fps i think. i have had no problems with it. i got the complete package with arrows and release for around $450 from hubs sports in abbotsford. in my opinion you cant go wrong with it!!
    My brother has a pse nova and it too is a nice bow but i would way rather have my browning then his pse. just my 2 cents

heres a link to the browning rage

http://www.browning-archery.com/products/2006/rage.htm

My first bow was a PSE Nova rimfire and it was a very good bow, really forgiving and really accurate. In fact even though I shoot a Hoyt now, I still have the PSE as a backup. (don't want to let it go). My 1/2 cents worth.

Cowboy .. I doubt you will find a brand new bow in your range that will be your best choice. My first two bows were used and I liked them. I still hve my second one as my hunting bow and it is awesome. High country carbon force. But it was an $1100 bow new that I got for 600 and then had to outfit. My second bow is a Diamond Rapture which is a division of Bow-Tech and is better for me for indoor or for 3-D It is about a $500 bow without accessories and will shoot at 295 - 300 fps no problem at about 60#. My high Country is shooting at 286 fps I think. All depends on the arrows and you. Just my opinion but I would look at high end bows second hand. My 2 cents Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills