Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you take this shot?Know your target!

Would you take this shot?Know your target!

Hi guys, I am new to this site, and I have a little challenge for ya. The following are a couple of pics I snapped last fall during the 2 point bull season in region 8. The distance is 35-40yards. The pic is grainy because I only had a 24-85 zoom lens with me for my Nikon. So this is a greatly cropped portion of a 35mm slide in order to give ya a look at its rack. After i get a few responses I'll show a second shot of this bull. By the way, I shoot a Check-mate Hunter 2 recurve bow, 52#with a Purple Heart/Bubinga riser, beautiful red elm limbs, and Hexshaft arrows.

Ok guys thanks for the responses. It's a three point check the pic I just posted. Good thing I didn't shoot! Check your target from a diff angle to be sure! It would feel aweful to be wrong too late.
    Last edited by NightOwl74; 11-27-2006 at 12:15 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Bow Walker Guest

Re: Would you take this shot?Know your target!

35 - 40 yds? With a recurve bow? Or even a compound?

Has to be a No. Too many branches in the line of the vitals. Hopefully he turned his head forward and took a step into the clear before you released - if in fact you did shoot him.

I'll wait for the rest of the pics to see how my choice holds up.

Thanks for the quick response. I Like that you are patient and wait for the shot......also I should add that just out of picture there is a cow moose, maybe 15 yards out of picture to the right. I actually got a little nervous as this was a very healthy and large bull for it's age, and we all know how we don't want competition around our ladies.......man, animal or otherwise! And he seemed to tower over me as I croutched in the grass.

35-40 yards is out there. Can't really see the antlers enough to make a call on the 2 point rule. Would have to get closer. I think 52lb at 40 yards would also be stretch.

Good call, Onesock(try two yer feet'll be warmer!). Umm I guess I'll show second pic now, COUNT THE POINTS!. I just wanted to illustrate that from certain angles, this moose is seems to be a 2 point. And a moose is a little "denser" than say a Mule or whitetail, and this one lived up to reputation. He stood there still for 3 minutes, but i couldn't be certain of his point count. It wasn't until the cow in the bushes behind him got impatient that he turned his head forward an walked forward. A rifle hunter would have looked through his scope and quickly determined it's a three point. BUT NOT ALWAYS. There are always stories in the fall of people finding an illegal bull left to rot because the hunter had an itchy trigger finger OR the bull was just out of range for a human to count points on it's head. After this incident I always carry compact Binocs. And no I did not take a shot, just watched in awe as this magnificent animal made a getaway with his girlfriend.

Well it seems i've used up all my space so i can't post the other pic sorry guys

This would be a shoot I don't take. To many branches in the way. Maybe the neck, but there are a lot of though bone to content with. No definitely not for me. Not with a bow.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

At those distances for a rifle shot if I could confirm 2 point he would be down! Neck / head shot not a second thought. Meat in the feezer. Bow shot once again confirm he's a 2 point wait for him to take a step or I may try and move to my left for a clear shot. 50-80# Bear brown bear, xx75, thunderheads.
    Last edited by moosecaller; 02-26-2006 at 11:10 PM.

There are always stories in the fall of people finding an illegal bull left to rot because the hunter had an itchy trigger finger OR the bull was just out of range for a human to count points on it's head.
    This recent November we found 3 dead moose (2 immature bulls and 1 cow) All died of gunshot wounds and were left to rot.

This was all on fenced private land where only a small handful of hunters have permission and none of them would do this.

It was a sad sight to see.

Happy Hunting!
    Carl

Hey NightOwl74, 75% of the compound bowhunters I know are more then capable to take that shot . But having said that it would depend on the distance the branches are between the bowhunter and the moose (Legal I asume) as the arc of the arrow would dictate the feasability of the shot.
    No possibility for a traditional shot !!!!
    Good post !!!!
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC