Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bears!! already!

bears!! already!

i donno whats goin on... but this weekend i was out shed hunting and the gf and i ran into a small .. looked like 3 year old blackie....it was down low on the westside... way below the snow line... then on sunday we went up fishing at turtle lake... and at the second canyon on mcculloch road we ran into a mom with 2 young ones from last year...i couldnt believe it!... i wonder if they are out for good?... since they are so low down!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: bears!! already!

I think some didn't even hibernate this year. Any clue how that will affect the hunts? More rubbed bears?

If it means anything a couple of CP engineer pals of mine told me they saw bears out really late this past fall when they expected them to be denned. They both mentioned on Friday that snow is absent in areas they haven't seen green in years for this time of year. These guys go through the mountains everyday so take it for what it's worth. I think an early bear season is a go.

There's green grass in the valley bottom and even at slightly higher elevations. I would imagine they can smell "spring".

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

if thats the case, should be able to get a couple meat bears before may....

Living life at full draw.

Here on the Southern Vancouver Island there is already some grass growing on the backroads and the weather has been extremely mild for this time of year. Saw two bears sunning themselves up on a bluff two weeks ago behind Wild Deer Lake. I couldn't believe it. I'd never seen them out so early either.

As long as the weather stays mild, we could have a phenominal spring bear season.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka270wsm View Post
    As long as the weather stays mild, we could have a phenominal spring bear season.
    Sign me up for that!!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

i was up 4 wheeln in the hills southern island,there is so many roads you can travel you shouldn't due to snow,going to be easy road hunting in the spring.

weather and wildlife patters have been "weird" to say the least this past year, a herd of whitails a couple hundred yards from my house, about18 or 20 deer,,
    there are 3 decent bucks, 2 four pointers and a big 5x5, the bucks are pushing/fighting and rattling antlers, the big one is chasing does around, sometimes trying to mount the does,
    usually by now the bucks have dropped antlers,,,

still seeing lots of bull moose with antlers and elk,
    sit quietly by the river,,,,,,

eventually the bodies of your enemies will come floating by,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by bigbore14 View Post
    I think some didn't even hibernate this year. Any clue how that will affect the hunts? More rubbed bears?
    I don't think we'll have to worry about that, as long as it stays cool at night they won't be rubbing.