Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: differant specie decoys

differant specie decoys

i was just wondering how many other species people use in their decoy spread, as i am new to decoys and just got 12 mallard and 12 greenwing teal decoys for xmas with a lucky duck wind spinner, just wondering if i should get some more specoes to add to it or is that fine?

2. Site Sponsor

Bow Walker Guest

Re: differant specie decoys

Good thing to do is to go down to your hunting spot and glass the flocks that are sitting in the water/fields. Take note of the different species that "hang together" and buy accordingly.

I do know that Widgeon are very good friends with Mallards...

I use 24 mallard decoys with 6 widgeon in with them (usually 2 different groups). Then ive got 6 green wing teal decoys that I usually put by themselves closer into the shore. It wouldnt hurt to have some widgeon in ur spread with your mallards. As far as spinners go, some days are better than others. I find on a real nasty day they work really well. On nicer days I find ducks flare off them. So many hunters use them now and ducks get educated to them especially later on in the season.

I've got 6 different spiecies that I put out. The start of the season I put out about 16 or so Mallards Pintails and some old decoys I've painted brown. As the seasons progresses I add more including divers, Canvasback and Bluebills. I place them in small groups usally, depending on how the ducks are sitting. As for mechanical spinners sometimes they help and somtimes not. If I knew before what I know now I probably wouldn't waste the money. Surprisingly the Canvasbacks attract a lot of Drake Mallards why I don't know, maybe because the white on the drakes is more visible.

thanx for the info, i have a long wait for duck season to add to my decoys, and looking forward to giving all these decoy strategies a go

some people will add confidence decoys such as Herons , coots. One note on Mojo type spinners, shut them down if you have geese coming, they will flare them.

X 2 on geese flairing from the spinner decoy.

the first time we used spinner duck befor i bought mine we had more geese then ducks come in.

well from my experience that was pure luck! Honkers HATE spinners.

Last week we set up on a field in the fog with 48 ghg duck shells and 36 GHG oversize goose decoys and two Mojos. Every time we heard the geese coming and shut down the Mojos, they came in and took a look, if they came in quiet, and saw the Mojos running, they flared. Three of us limited out in 1-1/2 hrs in one of those situations that duck hunting dreams are made of. Shooting single shots, taking turns and picking drakes only. The fog made all the difference. No geese that day.
    Shot snows & specks the day before, limited on snows and 3 shy on specks in 3-1/2hrs in the same conditions.