Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making Excalibur Strings?

Making Excalibur Strings?

I just paid $30 for a crossbow string, I know that they are good strings but $30 seems alittle steep for some string wrapped with tread. Does anyone make there own? What do you use to make then? I have some Kevlar paracord that looks close to the right size, would that work?
    Are we having fun yet?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Making Excalibur Strings?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinajeep View Post
    I just paid $30 for a crossbow string, I know that they are good strings but $30 seems alittle steep for some string wrapped with tread. Does anyone make there own? What do you use to make then? I have some Kevlar paracord that looks close to the right size, would that work?

http://www.ehow.com/how_4673133_make-bowstring.html
    http://www.mac.asn.au/string_making.htm

fill your boots ...

there is a great science believe it or not in making bowstrings .... you could use your paracord ... but your bow would either blow up ... or bexcome extremly slow and youll be lucky to get a 20 yrd range out of it
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

i make bow strings..... i just want to ask you one ?? ...how much do you make an hour.

i make bow strings..... i just want to ask you one ?? ...how much do you make an hour.

Laid off in Feb and now make $9 an hour packing 50 lbs bags of concrete. But you miss my point, A) I would pay $30 or more for a string made by hand by a craftsmen but these are made by a robot in china is my guess. B) I would like to make my own to safe money because I have lots of time and little else. C) Could I make better ones than I could buy.

PS Thanks Bowzone!!
    Last edited by mikeinajeep; 01-09-2010 at 11:29 PM.
    Are we having fun yet?

Really for a recurve crossbow... strings sure would not be hard to make . for a investment of $100. bucks.. you could make ..just a guess maybe 30 strings for your xcaliber.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinajeep View Post

Laid off in Feb and now make $9 an hour packing 50 lbs bags of concrete. But you miss my point, A) I would pay $30 or more for a string made by hand by a craftsmen but these are made by a robot in china is my guess. B) I would like to make my own to safe money because I have lots of time and little else. C) Could I make better ones than I could buy.

PS Thanks Bowzone!!
    No problem ....
    they typically are not made on a robot in china ....

yes some are mass produced ... but the industry for bow strings isnt like that ... each differant model takes several differant sizes ... most are custom built
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

UUUUMM? Ok, So those two site say I need 90 stands. Is that right 225 lbs X 4 divided by 10 = 90 of BCY 10. Ok this should be fun. Now where to buy suplies.
    Are we having fun yet?

30 strings or even 10 for a $100 and some hard work. I'm in. I have a new one to make a jig with and would like to at least try. I love shooting this thing and plan to do it as much as I can. I thank you guys for all your help.
    Are we having fun yet?

I don`t know what excaliber is using ...but i counted 32 strands ...i have be using BCY 450 plus. But on the BCY website you should be able to find out exactly what to use and how many strands. take your pic of US mail order supplies and go for it.

Bow Walker Guest

Being somewhat of a bow tech myself - notice I said somewhat - I'm really interested in making my own strings/cables.

I'm in the process of looking for plans for a home made jig that I can apply pressure or stretch to the string(s) - something around 500 - 600 lbs shoud do it.

I'd like to be able to build strings for my compounds and my long bow.