Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refletching Carbons

Refletching Carbons

Well its time after about 8 years of use to refletch all my arrows. Other than removing the old vanes and glue is there anything else that I have to do with carbons before putting the new ones on. A friend of mine mentioned that I should run steel wool over them beforehand.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Refletching Carbons

A little bit of sanding with a fine grit sandpaper in the area where the fletch is to be applied. Just enough to improve the bonding surface for the fletch.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Also clean the area really well with Isopropyl. Use 99%, any drug store has it.
    Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces!

I suggest you consult the manufacturer of the vanes your installing. Check the FAQ section of their website. Blazers by Bohning, for example, should not be cleaned before applying adhesive as they are treated with a primer which aids adhesion.
    "If all else fails read the instructions" (Anoynmous)
    For every person with a spark of genius............. there are a hundred with ignition trouble!!!

I use acetone to clean the shafts ....

Nail polish remover ...without the soft hand treatment crap in it ....
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Bow Walker Guest

Removing the old glue is key to good adhesion of the new fletch/glue to the shaft. Scrape it as best you can, without damaging the shaft, and then procede with the very light sanding/steel-wooling to get rid of any remaining bits of glue and to roughen up the surface a bit.

Letting the glue dry or cure is also important. Don't refletch and then go out and shoot the arrows right away. Also - put a bead of glue on the leading edge (base) of the finished fletch. This will help protect the fletch in the case of pass-thrus...be it animals or targets.

Thanks for the advice, all good, especially from anonymous, amazing advice

Quote Originally Posted by Blk Arrow View Post
    I suggest you consult the manufacturer of the vanes your installing. Check the FAQ section of their website. Blazers by Bohning, for example, should not be cleaned before applying adhesive as they are treated with a primer which aids adhesion.
    Instructions?? What are they??
    Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces!

Bow Walker Guest

Instructions are for newbies...

Quote Originally Posted by Blk Arrow View Post
    Hmmmmm... has this ever happened to anyone you know??? lol

Living life at full draw.